network ?

Thread: network ?

Elite Hacker

network ?

I was able to log onto my home network just fine and see all the computers there when I was using the dhcp ip assigned by my router. Then I assigned one of my computers with a static ip and now it is not able to see the other computers and logon to the network.
    It has the same subnet mask and all the computers are 192.168.0.x. I tried using a network setup floppy I had made before I changed to a static ip and that didn't work. How do I get back on the network?
    by the way this is on win98se.
    thanks in advance

go back

Did you try going back to letting the router assign the address?
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

Check if it still works when using DHCP again. If it does, ths proves that there is something wrong with the static configuration and nothing wrong with the hardware or network connections.

You will need to check the IP address, subnet mask and default gateway. Also I dunno if this is the problem but I am guessing the router is the one causing the problem since you changed to static IP. The router could be blocking it cos its thinking its a rogue system on the network. One thing you could do is try to check if there is a setting in the router that allows you to set use dhcp but always assign the same ip addr to a certain system. Normally you can set such that a system with a certain MAC addr gets the same IP addr every time it connects.

Elite Hacker
    I got this from the help page.

Q7: Does it matter if I use a Dynamic IP address or Static IP address for my computer?

No, the DI-614+ can be configured for either case. For Static IP address, you have to make sure of the following:

1. The IP address is in the range from 192.168.0.2 to 192.168.0.254.
    2. The network mask is 255.255.255.0.
    3. The gateway is 192.168.0.1.
    4. The DNS server IP address is correctly setup.
    5. For dynamic IP setting, you can check if your computer has successfully acquired IP settings from the DI-614+. We strongly recommend that your computer is setup to acquire IP settings from the DI-614+ DHCP server.

Also, is there an advantage to either of the two ( dynamic or static ip) because I have been having probs with my win98se comp using dhcp where I would have to restart about every 30 minutes because I would lose my internet connection? I know I am able to be on the network with dhcp, I just wanted to have a static ip address.

I have everything configured correctly and am able to surf the internet, I am just not able to get on the network.
    Thanks

h3r3tic

This may sound like a stupit question. Can you atleast ping other workstations?

"Then I assigned one of my computers with a static ip and now it is not able to see the other computers and logon to the network"

The above comment can be related to an application/microsoft/netbios issue or an IP/Datalink connection issue;

Verify first if you can or not so you can atleast eliminate certain variable...

cheers

In order for your network to use static IP's then you will have to disable the DHCP option on your router. From what I understand, it sounds like you just gave one computer a static IP while allowing the rest to use DHCP. For static IP's to work, you will then have to go throuh each computer assighing a IP from 192.168.0.1-192.168.1.254. Then assign a gateway which would be your router.

An advantage of having a dynamic IP, is that you have more security, but since this is on your network, thats not much of a fatory. If you are mapping networked drives, then your ideal choice would be static because the IP never changes. Otherwise, everytime you start up your computers you have to know what their IP's are and remap the drive again.
    =

"In order for your network to use static IP's then you will have to disable the DHCP option on your router. From what I understand, it sounds like you just gave one computer a static IP while allowing the rest to use DHCP"

Cayenne I think that is only true if his problem was only associated with accessing devices that are behind the router. It does not have anything to do with issue of accessing local devices ..(then again Im assuming the workstations he is unable to log onto or see are local)

Cheers..

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Speaking from the WAP I set up in my pub I have both fixed, (the owner of the high speed connection's computers), and DHCP for 2 laptops that may connect.

DHCP and fixed are easily mixed on the same network, you just have to be careful that you have the fixed systems information put in correctly.... DNS, gateways etc. have to be set up on the fixed machines where it doesn't on the DHCP machines.

Gotta love High Speed Wireless access from the pub after work......
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Elite Hacker
    I tried to ping the machine and first it got two of four packets then none. I think that computer is having problems with its connection. I think I had the static ip configured right because I was able to surf the net, but today when I booted up I wasn't able to surf the net.
    I switched the win98se machine back to dhcp because I really don't need it, but I left the redhat machine as static and it seems to work fine. I don't really need the redhat machine to be on the network anyway. I have one redhat 9.0 box setup with the apache, php, and mysql that it comes with, but I am going to try to install on a different box and download the latest of these three and install from scratch. It should be a good learning experience.
    Wish me luck.
    thanks for all the replies.