Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hard drive size does matter

Hard drive size does matter

A group of computer owners has filed a lawsuit against some of the world's biggest makers of personal computers, claiming that their advertising deceptively overstates the true capacity of their hard drives.

to read more about it http://news.com.com/2100-1015_3-5078961.html

For some reason i knew this would happen sooner or later. Everyone is going lawsuit crazy right now.

PeacE
    -BoB
    #!/usr/local/bin/perl -s-- -export-a-crypto-system-sig -RSA-in-3-lines-PERL
    ($k,$n)=@ARGV;$m=unpack(H.$w,$m.\"\\0\"x$w),$_=`echo \"16do$w 2+4Oi0$d*-^1[d2%
    Sa2/d0<X+d*La1=z\\U$n%0]SX$k\"[$m*]\\EszlXx++p|dc`,s/^.|\\W//g,print pack(\'H*\'
    ,$_)while read(STDIN,$m,($w=2*$d-1+length($n||die\"$0 [-d] k n\\n\")&~1)/2)

ahhh.. so we can now sue over inconsistencies in how we measure bits and bytes ?

*sigh.. yeah.. i guess the "educated" lawfolk haven't consulted much with the real world technical types..

Gosh.. People are too darn lazy to contact the manufactorer themselves

That missing 10 GB, they claim, could store an extra 2,000 digitized songs or 20,000 pictures.
    Pictures.. Lol (Please excuse sick mind )

OMG.. do you mean I've been lied to all these years.. And the information been correct.. I could still have some of my hi-grade p0rn.. oh woe is me....

In this case AMD may need to watch their backs.. ..

*sigh.. yeah.. i guess the "educated" lawfolk haven't consulted much with the real world technical types..
    these "educated" are most likley the ones who were also screaming "the end of the world" for y2k.. That is why no one sued for the crap in 1999.. ..
    To be honest I am sick of explaining why the difference to customers.. perhaps the manufacturers could just put both the decimal size and the hexadecimal size on the hdd's then let the silly buggers work it out for themselves..

This weeks Customer Story
    Customer comes in this week concerned that she was rapidly filling here HDD, and wanted to get some of her older files off the drive to make room for the new files..
    und3rtak3r: You can use your CD-RW drive to 'Backup your older data.. as a matter of fact it is a good idea to keep backups of your data just incase something happens to your HDD.. like a virus or a power surge kills the machine
    Customer: OK How many CD's would I need to backup ALL the Data on my Hard drive..
    und3rtak3r: How much Data have you got on your Hdd?
    Customer: I don't know, but it must be getting near full .. it is a 80gb drive and I have over 2000 letters and about 200 songs.. and 6 months of emails from the kids.

BTW: total disk usage was 4.8Gb, with her data being only 1250Mb
    Cheers
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

They have got a point though.

dunno what the point is.. The difference has always been there..

unfortunatly many ppl just don't want to think.. there has always been two ways to measure the size of a hdd, dec and hex.. these buggers are to darn lazy to pick up a book and learn something.. or at least to RTFM ( Ask questions) and find out why the difference..
    The next thing and they should have done this years ago.. how about your 17" CRT monitor.. is it 17" think of how much bigger the pictures can be if the screen size was correct.as advertised.. shame realy.. most monitors now are LCD...
    .. sound to much like someones gunner get richer and I ain't talking about the plaintifs or the Computer manufacturers..

Oh yeh.. Who has ever used the FULL capacity of their "Boot HDD" I mean the full 20GB dec of a 20Gdec HDD.. ? and still have a smooth running system? except for you linux users..

Perhaps these same ppl may need to sue Misrocoft for the bloat ware.. they could easily get en extra 1 to 1.gGB on there HDD's with WInXP if it wasn't for the bloat.. and not to forget the lost bytes on a hdd due to the slack in the NTFS and FAT filesystems.. ..think how many more 1k files could fit on a hdd..

Oh gee and for that matter.. how about the file overhead in small ZIP files.. and in Jpeg and GIF files.. ...nah now I am getting silly..

Closing.. gee they will complain when we get to 150Tb dec.. HDD's.. won't they.. gee how many more hours of Home video will that be.. or will it be hours of PVR time for "Days of our lives" backup..

Cheers
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

I have a different view on hard drives, it is not just the claimed capacity, but how long the manufacturer's warranty runs? It used to be 3 years standard. Now a lot are only one?

I am more into RAID these days, as the MoBos are now affordable RAID0 (striped) gives you fast performance and dangerous exposure, but I usually go for RAID1 (Mirrored). The beauty of a mirrored system is that you get total duplication, so if one drive goes, you are still in business for a while, and lose nothing. Useful for non-computer types writing PhD Theses and such?

Just a thought........................BTW liked the customer service story

nihil > I have always bought western digital, most likely always will. Western Digital drives still come with a 3 year warranty in which they will replace a defective, faulty, or non-functioning drive. Within the first 30 days, they even offer free tech support on setting up the drive and installing 'stuff' onto it. I just bought another one of those 200GB 8MB Cache 7200RPM Western Digital drives, and it still has a 3 year replacement warranty.

As for this lawsuit, I really don't see the case. I bought a 200GB hard disk drive, it has 1,600,000,000,000 bits on it. That is how it is advertised, and that is what I bought. The fact that the customer does not know what they are doing does not change the size of the disk. Most operating systems do work under a binary base two system in which the SI system is in increments of 1,024 instead of 1,000, but this does not change the physical size of the drive. Just because in windows the size of the drive may be reported as 186.264514923095703125GB, does not change the fact that the drive still holds 1.6 trillion bits.

How it is false advertising to report the accurate size of the drive is beyond me.

{
    By the way, if the operating system could display it, one yottabye would be 0.000 000 000 000 16543612251060553497428173841399 yottabytes in the same 200GB HDD. 200GB should be 0.000 000 000 000 2 yottabytes. This would make the differences in the base of 1,000 and 1,024 systems be even more apparent. So if they are somehow successful in there claim, I want another 35 gigabytes for every one of my 200GB disks I have now.
    }

Re: Hard drive size does matter

Originally posted here by DeadAddict
    A group of computer owners has filed a lawsuit against some of the world's biggest makers of personal computers, claiming that their advertising deceptively overstates the true capacity of their hard drives.

to read more about it http://news.com.com/2100-1015_3-5078961.html
    I guess they are trying to enjoy the american pastime of suing other people. Very whiney people though. They are basically suing someone for not educating themselves.
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)