Thread: auto login in RedHat Linux

auto login in RedHat Linux

hi all,
    i was watching the other day, one of my friends system was logging in into user xxxx with out prompting for password.he's using mandarke 8.0. i want my system automatically looged into default user without prompting username and password.and mine is redhat linux 8. is there any shell script which can automaticaly boot into default user or some other user?

thnax in advance

been a while since I've used Mandrake 8 but I recall there is an option to auto logon to a default user (you can even set it up so there is no password) in the Mandrake control panel - I think it's in the boot/logon section. I'm fairly sure that there is something similar in RH - have you had a look there?

I would however advise against doing this - security and all that

Z
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes

I'm not to sure how its done in redhat, but try looking in the control center, then go to System administration, Then go to Login Manager It should be under the Convenience Tab, Or possibly the User tab. I'm not to sure if you have them exact options in Redhat, But i'm sure it will be similar to the above steps. You will probably need to login as root too set this too.

Hope this Helps

You might also want to try an autologin program made by Bernhard Rosenkraenzer <bero at redhat dot com>.

It can be found at https://mall.kde.com/nf/2/info/id/716?sid=&sid=

But keep in mind that Linux is a multiuser OS and attempts to make it single user system are misguided. (at least IMO)
    rdev - 01110010 01100100 01100101 01110110

\"The difficult we do immediately. The impossible takes a little while longer.\" - U.S. Navy Seabees

Yeah, I have to agree with Zonewalker, default accounts and passwords generally are not a good idea. I suppose if you really want to do this to your own box, there's nothing stopping you. Just keep in mind that default accounts are usually the first thing an intruder looks for.

Just my 2 cents, free of charge...

alpha

i got the solution. auto-login option given in control center is not woking properly so, try this command in i
    run box: gdmsetup
    it prompts for root password if u r not in the root. so try this!