Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: School declares war on hackers

School declares war on hackers

The Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, one of Switzerland's top universities, has joined forces with technology heavyweights to declare war on computer viruses and hackers.
    Along with IBM, Sun Microsystems Laboratories and Credit Suisse, the Swiss institute has launched a Zurich-based research center to fortify data networks against increasingly potent worms and viruses.

"We are trying to benefit from the synergies...to strengthen Zurich as an international center for research in information security," said David Basin, a senior researcher at the Zurich Information Security Center (ZISC).

Weeks of crippling computer virus attacks in August underlined growing concern over computer security. One virus, for instance, caused a check-in nightmare at Air Canada last month when it infected the airline's reservations systems.

The MSBlast worm caused havoc in the cyberworld when it infected machines running Windows operating systems that had an open security hole. Microsoft said the virus caused millions of dollars in damage.

Fortifying data network security has become a skill in great demand, and the academic world is responding.

The ZISC is hosting a one-week seminar this month and aims to establish a master's degree in information security.

Some of the world's top universities, including the London School of Economics and the University of Hamburg, have already branched into advanced network security curriculae.

"It's become such a hot topic, IT security. The chance of a well-paying career is really strong," said Graham Cluley, a consultant for British security firm Sophos.

The University of Calgary in Canada has a controversial new course titled "Computer Viruses and Malware," believed to be the most advanced course dedicated to virus construction.

Orginal Atricle
    Swiss Institute
    Zurich Information Security Center
    AntiOnline Quick Forum Version 2b Click Here

Hi, it is late, and I am drunk

But drunk does NOT mean stupid?

When the Swiss vomit out the Nazi war loot from WWII and the drug cartel money that they launder every day, they may have something to say to the world. Don't challenge..Google first? or ask your bank manager, FBI office IRS office..........................

Until then I would prefer lectures in morality from my (feral) tomcat?

Cheers

BTW...the post was a good one.....nice to see what the nasty little Quislings are up to?

Tutorials Posted: 2
    Congrads NIHIL for your 400th post
    AntiOnline Quick Forum Version 2b Click Here

Thanks spools...................have I rabbited on that much?

I have it in for the Swiss (government, not people) a bit, because of their double standards. They are dead without their finance industry now (who the hell buys a swiss watch these days), they have no IT background...for peasants like the Brits, ANZACS and Yanks?

Now they are running scared?

"run rabbit, run rabbit, run,run, run...............here comes the farmer with his gun.gun,gun...."

Aw hell, you should be GLAD you cannot hear me sing

Cheers

Banned
    yah i know i am...

Nightfalls_Girl

Banned
    Originally posted here by nihil
    "run rabbit, run rabbit, run,run, run here comes the farmer with his gun.gun,gun...."
    Funny lirics... but if your singing is bad then just do what I do... play four cord tunes while yelling yer damn head off... then when I forget the song I can always break out to a few guitar solos then passout on some stage.

As for the other topic at hand (Swiss)... what is this? I mean sure its great to learn and maybe pickup on exploits before they become major problems such as something happening to a few corp. computers here and there but other than that what else can they do? Hold peaple at gun point and force them to patch and update? Hell peaple had weeks to fix dcom before a can of worms were opened yet that didn't stop corp. & home computers from being infected... I mean does it really take that much training and preparation and **** to visit vuln. boards and look for patches and things?

nihil mate

400 posts.. and I am glad i cant hear you sing.. seems you are on AO more than in the shower/bath.. me thinks you have post whored enough.. time for a shower with soap.. I can almost smell you from here... or is that... oh sorry.. just me boots..

Good onya.. gee was it only July you signed on.. could swear it was almost a year ..

Cheers
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

How much you wanna bet this was all launched coz they got owned by the blasterworm?
    With all the subtlety of an artillery barrage / Follow blindly, for the true path is sketchy at best. .:Bring OS X to x86!:.
    Og ingen kan minnast dei linne drag i dronningas andlet den fagre dag Då landet her kvilte i heilag fred og alle hadde kjærleik å elske med.

Banned
    I'll bet you 200$ thats exactly what its all about... which brings me back to my first post on this thread.

Ninja Code Monkey
    If nothing else, making such a bold statement gets them more press. More press for the school (especially the free kind they are getting) could mean more money....maybe from their government to support their anti-cybercrime initiative or in more people applying to the school. Security the the hot 'money maker' now....and more and more schools are trying to pump out info sec monkeys like they used to push out mcse's a few years ago.
    "When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes." - Erasmus
    "There is no programming language, no matter how structured, that will prevent programmers from writing bad programs." - L. Flon
    "Mischief my ass, you are an unethical moron." - chsh
    Blog of X