Thread: Out with ATX and in with BTX

Out with ATX and in with BTX

I came across this and it seems that ATX cases and mobo standards are becoming a thing of the past and BTX is going to be replacing it.
    As is made evident by the proliferation of Small Form Factor (SFF) machines into the market, the need for a smaller, quieter successor to ATX has been building over the past 8 years. A couple of IDFs ago, Intel announced their development of the successor to ATX, which was codenamed Big Water. At the Fall 2003 Intel Developer Forum, Intel officially branded Big Water as the Balanced Technology eXtended form factor - or BTX for short
    To read more about it http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.html?i=1876

This looks well cool, Definatly like the look of the PicoBTX,

Next years gonna be a good year for hardware, what with the BTX and Woz's GPS tracking devices.

one thing i dont like about the BTX is that PSU, whats the point in making it an augly shape, why dont they make it smaller and move that socket, would look allot better

also on the page "BTX - The Basics" it looks like that case is hinged with the CD-Rom and the Harddisk, which is a cool idea

i2c

I dont think there anything wrong with ATX! If it aint broke, then dont fix it is my motto!!!

I agree with you there is nothing wrong with Atx cases. but I wish that Atx and btx power supply's were fully interchangeable and that will only happen if you buy the full size tower and I also like the idea that everything in the case will have cooler temp because of better air flow and cooling system

yea, them thermal pictures were pretty cool,

I kinda agree with the motto if it aint broke dont fix it, but i think if we took that approach to everything we'd still not have invented the wheel, cos it took some cave man to think carrying this stuff doesnt work, so they decided to fix it and invent the wheel.

pretty much i cant leave anything alone, im always ripping things apart searching for that tweek to make things fun so much smooth or better

i2c

I just don't know. After looking at the specs, I can't say that I'd be all that interested in switching from ATX anytime soon. I actually wouldn't want to go smaller unless other peripherals such as vid cards and other AGP and PCI cards get smaller as well. I like knowing that I have alot of expansion capability even if I never actually use it to the fullest extent. I agree, "If it ain't broke (or out classed), don't fix it!" We certainly don't want our computers' nads "Fixed"!
    [gloworange][shadow][/shadow][/gloworange] [gloworange][shadow]\"To (10000010) or not to (10000010)? That is the question!\"[/shadow][/gloworange] [gloworange][shadow][/shadow][/gloworange]