Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fast HD Purge Program?

Fast HD Purge Program?

Is there any software, program etc... that is out there that can do a complete computer dump in case of an emergency? Kinda like a fast format or HD wipe?

Thanks

Enforcer

You mean emergency like the feds are coming over or......what?

delete the partition or physical drive destruction are going to be your fastest. Deleting the partion isn't guarenteed to get rid of all the data. I guess a really big powered magnet would work too.

I did a search and found a thread like this so thanks. But if there is anything new and faster, please feel free to leave any comments.

Thanks

Haha the ol'e hard drive killer pro. Quite frankly, I love me an old sledgehammer to do the job =D but why would you be needing something to delete your entire HD and every component of it so quickly?
    Space For Rent.. =]

would this work?

if you are running windows,

get a win 98 boot disk

then at the prompt, run fdisk

i like the magnet idea too lol

haha good question.. dunno much about Win98 but, fdisk probably would work.. nice nickname too tokeafatty420
    Space For Rent.. =]

1st pull the HD.
    2nd put said HD into microwave.
    3rd put microwave on high for 3min.
    4th stand at less 20ft away.
    5th take HD and put in water.(it will be hot)
    6th then use a hammer.

PS Shame on you for putting pono on our little sisters HD.

There is a Military program called E-purge that is desigend to do exactly that.
    It is on a cd-rom, all you do is put it in your drive, run the .exe file on it and let it do the rest.
    When i seen it, it took just over 12 mins to wipe a 60GB HDD!!

As it is a Military program though im not sure if it is available on civi street!
    I was shown this about two years ago so it might be available by now.

I googled e-purge and a few results came up but nothing that sounds like the program i am talking about!

Hope you can find it!

Honestly, if you want to really really destroy all of the data on a hard drive you are going to have to overwrite the entire disk with random data atleast 7-10 times. That would be DoD 5200.28-STD. An even better standard would the Peter Gutman-std which does 35 passes and alternates between random data and repeating data. How quickly you can do this is going to depend totally on the IO speed of the disk. This is about the only way to be 100% positive that everything is gone.

Slamming a harddrive with a sledgehammer will not destroy any data on the disk, except at those sectors where the IO heads slams into the disk. Although I am sure a good computer forensics person would be able to recover even that data. I have read about computers being damaged in house fires and forensic companies being able to restore 50-100% of the data.

Wiping a drive with a big'ol magnet is a good idea, but you really have no way to know that all of the data is gone for sure. And more than likely the disk will be ruined.