Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Fast HD Purge Program?

How about not focusing on destroying and focus on workarounds?

Do a good clean up of your current workstation and get rid of everything on there. Then wipe the slack space and cluster tips with the strongest possible. I've found eraser to be VERY good. I've not been able to recover any data using their strongest wipe. And thats using tools that the pros use. (not electron microscopes)
    http://www.tolvanen.com/eraser/ I'm pretty sure this is the one.

Then... Why not just bring in your own laptop or PDA? They can't touch that one, right?
    Heck, the new palm has a 4gb HD on it.
    Don't connect it to their network and you can use it all you want?

Or, use a live bootable CD (any knoppix varient) which doesn't touch the hard drive (it uses a ramdisk). Use a removable flash drive to store your data. It has your games, and multimedia programs, word processors, etc. all right there on the live cd. You'll just have to reboot to your normal OS for your normal work?
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

you have admin rights....right? why not run a cli proxy on the plick's computer and use it to connect to the internet. also with admin rights why haven't you collected evidence against any would be advisory?

as phish has stated a bootable cd and removable media would stealth your actions. bartPE is an easy to configure PE builder with which you can include any software and any drivers needed

as for magnets. machine shops use a device they call a 'de-magnitiser' for use with materials that have been help on surface grinders using magnets. weighs about 30-40 lbs but it would render any hd completly un-readable in seconds. just lay the entire computer over the block, wave it threw the field and volia! info gone.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

AFLAAACKKK!!
    Ok, some people reading this are reading it for info on wiping out a HDD beyond FBI/CIA recovery, others for whatever other reason...

The best way to wipe a HDD beyond recovery is to just toss the thing in a river .
    I am the uber duck!!1
    Proxy Tools

First off,

I want to thank phish and tedob for some great advice to me and everyone out there. At the moment, I do bring in my laptop, I do use external proxies, and I did clean my work system over 2 months ago. I use eraser in conjunction with dban's autonuke. I also have Internet History eraser which cleans my tracks and yes, I have nothing but work related applications on that computer.

But the issue is just being safe and incompliance. Like I said, I don't want any excuse to be held against me. Which means that if I have to kill a hard drive to protect it, I will.

Now in all honesty, when would anyone here have in there enclosed work environment or home a drum of acid, or thermite explosives or uranium or whatever to destroy hardware. I know it is in all good and fun, but I am sure there are people out there that really want to know about data sanitation and destruction.

Thanks

In all honesty... I'd still go for not creating the "evidence" in the first place using a bootable distro, ramdisk and flash drive.

But, if you destroy a hard drive so they can't view/recover data... that is destruction of property. Won't you get that held against you? Don't you think that that penalty is going to be more than if they find out you were playing a game?

You have to have a lot more going on there than you're telling us if you're taking all these steps to hide your internet history or if you play games.

It doesn't matter if you use external proxies or erase your locally stored internet history. If you are going through their gateway to get to the other proxy... they can still see what you're doing.

There are plenty of companies out there who destroy data. Like computer recycling places. Call and find out their policy and procedure for data destruction.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Some proxy apps like JAP use a mixman like encryption scheme to help you be safe against the "If you are going through their gateway to get to the other proxy... they can still see what you're doing." part..

Since we are aiding and abedding allready
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

No my activity is pretty much that, NOTHING! That's just the way our manager is. He micro manages and if anything tries to justify his job by holding anything against us. Internet activity, well lets just say that they have a hardware filter utility that to them they feel is bulletproof and nothing can get through them and assume that everything they want blocked is blocked.

As for the harddrive, I work in the IS department and know for a fact that I can justify why a drive would just die. After all, hardware isn't 100% failsafe right?

Like I said, I don't want any excuse to be held against me. Which means that if I have to kill a hard drive to protect it, I will.

Maybe it is just me, but if I was so worried about losing my job because of my boss finding dirt on me I would not be going to a public website and announcing the fact that I want to destroy company equipment. You've already done enough to show that you have every intention of destroying their property if you feel you have to. So if I were your boss and I knew that, I would fire you for that alone... Not to mention that if they were to find you actually followed through on your plans, build a wiper device, but never actually destroyed anything that you are guilty of conspiracy to destroy private property.

I really think you need to go find a new job or stop complaining about your current job to us.

Here is an article that was just on CNN a few days ago. Perhaps you should read it as I think it applies to you- http://money.cnn.com/2005/07/26/comm...hadi/index.htm