Thread: linux newbie question again

linux newbie question again

This may be a big problem, or a stupid one on my part... but redhat 9 will not detect my sound card. I had redhat 7.3 on my system before and it worked so i know it is linux compatible but redhat 9 says it isnt... does anyone know how to fix this?????
    You laugh because im different, i laugh because your all the same.

Banned
    what kinda sound card ?

What kind of soundcard? :-)

I had a similar problem when I first installed mandrake, except with my network card. I searched around the net for a fix and it told me to touch the card with a piece of metal (to release static electricity).
    It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious. - Murphy

If your sound card is not being detected by the kernel it's a slight hassle. Trust me. First, contact your venders site and see if they have linux drivers for RH. If they dont...then I would go to this one site called um ---->www.alsa-project.org. It's a driver site for a lot of non-supported cards and I never did get mine working but oh well. The installation is rather cumbersome for the noob so becareful noobs! Anyways, god speed to anyone who can't get their sound working in RH. Also, the site has a list of supported cards so make sure your's is on there before you get all crazy and stuff.

scat
    If the scatman can do it so can you.

what would i do to reconfigure the sound card...
    and the sound card is... i think... a sound blaster somthing
    You laugh because im different, i laugh because your all the same.

Elite Hacker
    If you can figure out exactly what card it is, maybe even open the box and look, you could probably find a module fairly easily either on the vendors site or by doing a google search.
    good luck.

Originally posted here by kryptonite0110
    what would i do to reconfigure the sound card...
    and the sound card is... i think... a sound blaster somthing
    I currently run RH9, and have a Sound Blaster Live card that it's detected at all. In my many diggings, I found two main things:
    1. Creative doesn't support Linux drivers....bah!!
    2. There is an open source project that does!!

Here's the link: http://opensource.creative.com/

Not sure if this will help you or not, but it's worth taking a look at anyway. I haven't had a chance to play with the driver yet myself, but hopefully I will soon.

alpha