Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: leaving computer on

Elite Hacker
    Spyder32, I would reboot into safe mode and run the maintenance wizard. Make sure you do this when not planning of using your computer for a while. This might help or might not.

Running that will do? can I have some more details on this, please? And what do you mean if I won't be using it for awhile?
    Space For Rent.. =]

Elite Hacker
    This cleans up unused files, runs scandisk( you can either do thorough or normal, I would do normal because thorough takes a long time.), and last it runs defrag which basically puts everything near the beginning of the harddrive making things run smoother and faster. I know they have the maintenance wizard in 98 but I'm not sure about ME. Someone else can probably help you out more than I can.

edit
    forget all that stuff, I just realized that you are a senior member, so I was stupid for telling you something you most likely know and probably won't help anyway. Maybe it will help someone else though.
    Sorry about that. I didn't mean any disrespect. Also I've heard bad things about win ME.

edit
    forget all that stuff, I just realized that you are a senior member, so I was stupid for telling you something you most likely know and probably won't help anyway. Maybe it will help someone else though.
    Sorry about that. I didn't mean any disrespect. Also I've heard bad things about win ME.
    Wow.. I got to hand it to you, this has to be, without doubt, the funniest thing I've ever read on AO. Senior Member, Newbie, etc etc, it doesn't really matter.. I can learn many things from you, and you could (I hope) learn many things from me, post count doesn't matter.. It's not as if you bow-down to me because of my post-count so stfu about the respect part. LMAO.. either AO has really changed and I came back at a feudal-system type time, or I'm loosing it Don't worry man, don't do that though.. lmao.. I'm a total newb at WinME anyways, well somewhat.

Yeah, btw.. you weren't "stupid" for telling me anything. If I knew it as well as you think I did, would I be asking the question? I just need further detail about the maintenence wizard you speak of and how to use it, how long it takes, etc etc. So yeah, chill out buddy..
    Space For Rent.. =]

well i have 466mhz celeron with 256mb of ram and 8mb video card. i bought this machine.. m.. about 5 years and it is still working as a some kind of server. 5 years is a long time so my coolers 3 times were broken. overheat or smth. my main procesors cooler broke down 2 times and video cards cooler just felt off. i have fixed them because i can't find it anywhere to buy... but that's not the point. my "computer" after few days of work slows down. i don't know why this happens but on win2003 server it crashes after 10 days, winxp - about 7 days, mandrake,freehat,freebsd and other unix'es - it slows down and crashes about 15 days. i restart my pc and it is working for next 7-10 days correctly. i can't understand if processor worms up or something else happens. maybe anyone could help?
    for som\' **** from lithuania

For starters, if you plan on leaving it on for long periods of time, you need more cooling than what it comes with. The overclockers website is a good place to go for that. You may need more than fans because over heating can cause alot of problems with an OS. Also I think Windows server 2003 needs at least 500 MHz to work right.

Also, how do you know how good your fans are? You may need to add extra fans and maybe water cooling if your leaving it on all the time. When you reboot or shut down do you leave it off long enough to cool down?

Gore, how many fans would you advise to have running for an AMD 2200+ thats left on 24/7, except for a reboot about 3 times a week?
    It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious. - Murphy

Elite Hacker
    Thanks for the replies. I'm glad to see that this post actually went somewhere.
    Keep um coming.

If you have your computer overclocked, and its a very small space inside then you probably need extra fans, but if your just leaving it up 24/7 using it for 8 hours a day then you really don't need any extra fans.

At least thats my thouhgt on it. My Compaq box has only the factory fans in it, and I've never had a problem with it overheating.
    =

If your computer is closed up and not in a tight area (under a desk or in a cubby) your factory fans should work just fine. By the way, there are different sizes and types of fans: my friend has this big fan that puts out about as much as 4 or 5 of the standard size fans. He doesn't leave his com on 24/7 though: his fan is too loud (lol).
    You shall no longer take things at second or third hand,
    nor look through the eyes of the dead...You shall listen to all
    sides and filter them for your self.
    -Walt Whitman-