Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: leaving computer on

Elite Hacker

leaving computer on

I am running apache on my redhat 9 box.
    I know that on my windows computer I generally have to restart it about once a day due to applications screwing up.
    What is everyones experience with linux and leaving your computer running for extended periods of time?
    Do you think it is alright?
    If not, how often would you do a fresh reboot?
    thanks

From what Ive heard linux should be able to run perfectly for weeks without needing a reboot. Ive gone 6 days so far on my newly installed mandrake.
    It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious. - Murphy

I'm running windows xp home right now and so far my uptime is 13 days.

I have never ran linux longer than a couple days but to me, linux and XP seem likewise stability wise. Now I'm sure someone here is gonna choke when they read that but I love XP.
    =

Banned
    heh I have heavily altered FreeBSD 3.4 and RedHat 6.2 systems as well as a TRIX 6.2 system and 3 Windows 2000 systems (not part of a wolf pack) that all have uptimes over 520days now (the last power outage that outlasted the UPSes). All the other computers have been off and on since for various reasons.

The lesson? Any of the modern industrial strength operating systems can be stable if handled properly and given good hardware. (though windows does have slightly more finiky taste as far as hardware is concerned hehe)

So yeah, there is no reason that your linux system shouldn't be up more or less forever so long as no serious curves are thrown at it.

catch

Any of the modern industrial strength operating systems can be stable if handled properly and given good hardware. (though windows does have slightly more finiky taste as far as hardware is concerned hehe)
    Exactly!!

A lot of people say "I hate windows, Its so unstable for me" but if they would actually install their apps correctly and buy hardware meant for windows then they wouldn't have any problems. If you start installing stuff and you get warning saying that it might be unstable with your OS, don't come back blaming M$ for making there OS unstable.

The moral of the story: Don't do anything unless you know exactly what your doing, or unless your willing to lose some stability in your OS.
    =

I have an xp machine that is reguraly up for months at a time. execpt recently the only time I reboot is for updates. ( there has been lots of updates of late)
    [Shadow] have you ever noticed work is like a tree full of monkeys you look down and all you see is monkeys below you then you look up and all you see is a bunch of *******s above[/shadow]

Yeah, if you don't try to install everything you find, Windows can be very stable. I know this guy that had a pentiun 200 mhz box running Windows 95. I think he was using it as an apache server. Anyways, he had it running without a keyboard, mouse, or monitor in his garage for four years until a fine dust collection finally just made the system crap out.
    Well that's my story for tonight.
    You shall no longer take things at second or third hand,
    nor look through the eyes of the dead...You shall listen to all
    sides and filter them for your self.
    -Walt Whitman-

Elite Hacker
    I also had a wierd thing happen to my winxp pro box today. I opened internet explorer and it came up with some page from zone alarm saying that it had halted all internet connections due to someone possibly trying to disable it.
    I have not run zonealarm for about a month. It is still installed but I just took it off the run at startup list. One of the directions was to just reboot because it could be a false alarm. I did a virus scan and rebooted. After that everything was fine. It was still really wierd though. At first I thought I was hacked and that was the only page I could go to, that was before I noticed it was the zonealarm page. What scared me was that there were some chinese symbols on the page and i think they were the ones that posted code that lead to msblaster or something. Anyways I think the chinese was just a link to translate the page. It just scared me when I would type in diff urls with the same page for each one coming up. That was kindof off topic, just thought I'd share.

Banned
    Originally posted here by PoSer
    I have an xp machine that is reguraly up for months at a time. execpt recently the only time I reboot is for updates. ( there has been lots of updates of late)
    There are several tools/tricks that allow you to skip rebooting after updates.

catch

My WinME box needs to reboot like once a day.. it's as stable as a game of Jenga (3 ft high!). Sorry for those that didn't catch the joke.. But anyways, anyone got tips on how to make a box stay up longer and more stable w/o a reboot every 10 minutes..? lol, thanks in advance, hopefully I could get it to atleast stay on for like 2 days.. :-/
    Space For Rent.. =]