udp question

Thread: udp question

udp question

Is there anything out there that will help give you an email address from an ip? I'm thinking something like an udp port translator..maybe I'm off here. Any clues?

Not quite sure...but probably not. IPs can be very volatile, and you can't get much info from them, besides the ISP.

Haven't heard anything about a "port translator" before, TCP or UDP. The only thing that comes up to mind is a NAT...?

Please, if I misunderstood you, correct me.
    It\'s 106 miles to Chicago, we\'ve got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it\'s dark and we\'re wearing sunglasses.

Hit it!

Ninja Code Monkey
    erm, you aren't going to get anyone's email address from their ip. You may get the email address of a net admin by doing a whois of the ip and seeing who owns that ip/block.
    "When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes." - Erasmus
    "There is no programming language, no matter how structured, that will prevent programmers from writing bad programs." - L. Flon
    "Mischief my ass, you are an unethical moron." - chsh
    Blog of X

in answer to your question: no you cannot get a specific email addr from an ip addr.

rebmeM roineS enilnOitnA steve.milner's Avatar

Re: udp question

Originally posted here by tinkerbell69
    Is there anything out there that will help give you an email address from an ip? I'm thinking something like an udp port translator..maybe I'm off here. Any clues?
    It dependes on what you are trying to acheive.

For example, today I have emailed a number of abuse@ mail addresses because a number of IPs have been attempting port scans. For this purpose I used whois and host - Sam Spade will also perform the same tests for you.

However if you want to mail the person at that IP address this presents a number of problems.

The address may not be that of an individual, but may be the address of the internet router that is providing NAT routing for a network. If you use whois to find out who owns the IP you could then mail postmaster@.....

You could test to see if that IP is running a mail server by using telnet a.b.c.d 25 and see if you get a reply - if so you should be able to send mail to postmaster by pointing your mail client to the ip address but this is not an entirely legitimage method for delivering mail.

What are you trying to acheive?

Steve
    IT, e-commerce, Retail, Programme & Project Management, EPoS, Supply Chain and Logistic Services. Yorkshire. http://www.bigi.uk.com