Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Tech Help needed with internet connection.

Q: Are you using your laptop as the router?
    No, but thanks.....
    DjM

DjM.....are you in the Lower Mainland ? If so....I may be able to help.

Originally posted here by dcongram
    DjM.....are you in the Lower Mainland ? If so....I may be able to help.
    The lower Mainland of what? I'm in Canada mate.
    And why do I have to be in the lower mainland, can't you help me out here?

Cheers:
    DjM

Here is my gues...

Go to command prompt and type in IPCONFIG.

Should get something similar:

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.100
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

If first three octets of Default Gateway are the same as the first three in IP Address then this is correct and not the problem. If they are different then your ISP has to change this. I run in to this quite often were I work and usually has to do with them trying to block unauthorized access or computers suspected of containing the most recent viruses.

If this isn't the case then replace the NIC and if it still doesn't work then you know it isn't the NIC. I would try replacing the cable as well because this can cause this type of issue. Try doing a tracert to any ip address out there and see where it fails. If all else fails then I am not sure other than the routing issue.
    May Everyone Find the Happiness That They Deserve,
    Raisor

The 'Lower Mainland' is Vancouver & surrounding area...mate. (the Vancouver in Canada...not Washington)

Since I'm 'on the road' troubleshooting most days......I was offering to do a 'hands on'
    troubleshooting.

I've read all the posts.......and everyone seems to have offered excellent advice.
    Don't think I can offer any more advice 'here'.

Well gunit0072003, if you want to get technical: DSL Modems are called so; because that is what there are. They are modems. There is no digital signal coming from the Central Office. It's modulated frequencies. Just like their older counterparts operating at 56k. What sets the technology apart is the use of how the copper wiring is configured. ISDN in contrast is a true digital signal, meaning voltage levels are recieved and transmitted. Curiously enough, they are not called modems. An ISDN device is a terminal adapter.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

loaded any new software or freeware lately?
    had a problem once with nic software being messed up by recent freeware install (port / socket conflict).
    Removed freeware, removed nic and drivers and re-installed nic to correct.

Originally posted here by dcongram
    The 'Lower Mainland' is Vancouver & surrounding area...mate. (the Vancouver in Canada...not Washington)

Since I'm 'on the road' troubleshooting most days......I was offering to do a 'hands on'
    troubleshooting.

I've read all the posts.......and everyone seems to have offered excellent advice.
    Don't think I can offer any more advice 'here'.
    That's what I figured (right after I posted) . I appreciate the offer but I think it would be a wee bit of a drive for you (one province to your right).

Once again, thanks dcongram.

Cheers:
    DjM

Let me make myself clearer and try to clear any confusion about DSL modems...

"DSL modems" support many different interfaces (on user side,,,not Telco side) depending on what your application is?

They include:
    1) 10BaseT.........In this situation it is a modem plus a Bridge or Router(DTE device is included)
    2) X.21 (V.11)
    3) X.21bis (V.24)
    4) V.35
    5) V.36
    6) RS530 and
    7) G.703 (64Kbps Codirectional)
    (this is all I am aware of as of now)

DSL is digital technology....Digital subscriber Line, which uses different modulation schemes above the 0 thru~4K HZ frequency range to modulate digital data...(this separates the data from voice)

DSL uses above the 4K thru ~7K HZ frequency range for upstream data and above the 1000K HZ frequency range for downstream data...(At least this is what it was when I took a class on topic before deploying DSL over ATM project for small ISP)

Anyway, the point here is, "residential" DSL Modems (atleast all I've come across) all come with built-in 10 Meg Ethernet interfaces hence is using interface type 1) as stated above, which includes a bridge or a router (a DTE device as well)..

That was the point I was trying to convey.........

Cheers....

try ipconfig release..then ipconig renew. i doubt that will get you the results you need.