Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tech Help needed with internet connection.

Question Tech Help needed with internet connection.

Ok Guys & Gals, here’s my problem. On my home network I am running an ADSL modem which connects to a Hub, from the hub I have two systems connected, my laptop (which I am currently using) and a desktop running Win 2K (fully patched). Now yesterday the desktop lost connection to the internet. No big deal, happens all the time, however today, it’s still down but I have no problems with the laptop. I contacted my ADSL technical support to verify my network connections and they said everything is fine, therefore, the problem is with the desktop.
    Every time I attempt to do a release / renew I get a ‘socket’ error, now the tech support guy figures I have fried the NIC on the desktop.
    Does anybody here agree that the NIC is toast?
    Dose anybody here have any other suggestions on what I can try?

I am not sure if this is the right place to post this, but it’s the best place I could think of.

Thanks for any help you can supply.

Cheers:
    DjM

have you tried pinging the desktop from the laptop? It will at least tell you if the desktop NIC is fried

tried swapping over the desktop connection to the hub... maybe one of the hub ports is fried

is it a hub or router... if a hub... have you got file sharing enabled (hope not if it's just a hub and if it is I hope firewalls are on!)... are you able to transfer files between the dektop and lappy?

Z
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes

Can the computers still see each other, assuming that they are networked?

1) Your NIC might not recognizing your DHCP... make sure your NIC is set for DHCP. If you have a static IP, make sure the IP is within the range of 192.168.0.x. Compare the IPs of the two machines.

2) Have you recently installed a firewall? Remove TCP/IP. Cleanup Registry settings for WinSock and Winsock2. Uninstall Windows Networking. Shutdown, reboot, reinstall TCP/IP. This may fix your problem.

Good luck
    It\'s 106 miles to Chicago, we\'ve got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it\'s dark and we\'re wearing sunglasses.

Hit it!

Hi Zone, you did make me think of a couple of things.

have you tried pinging the desktop from the laptop? It will at least tell you if the desktop NIC is fried
    Can't ping because it has no vaild IP, but I can print to the printer that's attached (print & file sharing is on, but behind firewalls and not via netbios). This leads me to believe the NIC is ok, because I can print.

tried swapping over the desktop connection to the hub... maybe one of the hub ports is fried
    Nope, but I'll try that next.

is it a hub or router... if a hub... have you got file sharing enabled (hope not if it's just a hub and if it is I hope firewalls are on!)... are you able to transfer files between the dektop and lappy?
    It is a hub and you bet I'm firewalled. Like I said before, I can print and I can view the printer via network neighborhood, again that leads me to believe the NIC is ok.
    I have also uninstalled & reinstalled the TCP/IP stack without success.

Got any other ideas?

Cheers:
    DjM

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    - Put in a static IP
    - Try different Cable (I've seen cables do things like allow printing but not get IP -- go figure)
    - Reboot?
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

- Put in a static IP
    Sorry MsM, can't go static, have to pay extra for that, and I still think with AO's help me can figure this mess out.

- Try different Cable (I've seen cables do things like allow printing but not get IP -- go figure)
    I don't have another cable (long enough) right now, but I'll give that a shot. I have never seen cables go that strange (allow printing and not picking up an IP)

- Reboot?
    Been there, done that.

Anything else gang?

Cheers:
    DjM

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Fire up tcpdump or another packet sniffer on the laptop, get the desktop to do a dhcp renew and see what packets are going through. Check to see if there are unusual packets (worm? virus?)
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Originally posted here by MsMittens
    Fire up tcpdump or another packet sniffer on the laptop, get the desktop to do a dhcp renew and see what packets are going through. Check to see if there are unusual packets (worm? virus?)
    Nice plan MsM, but it will take some time to do that. The laptop is not "state of the art" it's very old (win95, and I can upgrade at this point), I will have to hunt down a sniffer that will install and run on this beast. I'll give it a go, but likely not right now.

Got anything else for me?

Cheers:
    DjM

It\'s 106 miles to Chicago, we\'ve got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it\'s dark and we\'re wearing sunglasses.

Hit it!

Originally posted here by Showtime8000
    Hey, see if this site helps any:

http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum...00/t1060286508
    Thanks Show, but I have pretty much tried all that, except replacing the NIC. I can try and pickup another one tomorrow at work, but right now, my hands are tied (got to work with what I got)

Cheers:
    DjM