Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Tech Help needed with internet connection.

My this is a busy one! It appears as though you have tried most of the common troubleshooting techniques but to no avail so I really have no idea what the problem is, but I will offer a few things that might at least narrow it down. First off no one seemed to find it odd that release/renew causes a socket error? In the event a Win box cannot find a DHCP server to assign it an adress it should A.Timeout and say so, or B. Auto-assign itself the gay 169.x.x.x thing. I think re-installing all your netowrk components would be a good place to start. Also because you are on a hub, why not set both machines to static IP's (dont worry about your internet for the time being) within the 1918 range(aka 192.168.1.1 & 2) and try pinging between the two machines, this way you can at least see if your nic is working right then worry about your DHCP problem.

-Maestr0
    \"If computers are to become smart enough to design their own successors, initiating a process that will lead to God-like omniscience after a number of ever swifter passages from one generation of computers to the next, someone is going to have to write the software that gets the process going, and humans have given absolutely no evidence of being able to write such software.\" -Jaron Lanier

First off no one seemed to find it odd that release/renew causes a socket error?
    Well, actually I did.

I think re-installing all your network components would be a good place to start.
    This is what I am planning to try next, don't know if I'll get to it tonight or not, but I will keep everyone posted.

Thanks Maestr0

Cheers:
    DjM

DSL is digital technology....Digital subscriber Line, which uses different modulation schemes above the 0 thru~4K HZ frequency range to modulate digital data...(this separates the data from voice)
    Bold added by me.

Yep I am with ya, it modulates digital data from the Ethernet port into a multitude of frequencies and on the downstream demodulates it (Modem). Some of the newer technologies have even figured out how to reduce power on the lower frequencies so the signal isn't so hot on the high and low end of the spectrum. And in addition they only need 1 copper vs. 2 so that gives additional copper to effectively seriously increase throughput. I can think of half a dozen DSL types on the Telco side but your right they all interface via good old RJ11.

And I am still using the old aDSL? Wondering why at this point.

Just to add to what gunit0072003 posted. On the data side, it is a bridge or a router between a user’s internal network and the ISPs network. It’s a reference to how data is distributed either as a bridge, an extension of the ISP network or a Router, pointing to the ISPs separate network. People do confuse it with hubs and internet connection gateway devices etc…

DSL Modems/routers/bridging devices are also often DHCP servers. In this case it looks like the DHCP server is working since the laptop has no problems. This is a curious problem that to me points to the NIC, or something blocking the return request for an IP address. But all in all it looks like someone's weekend is going to be full trying out all the great advice from everyone.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

What clients, services, and protocols do you have running for your network connectivity?

SQ....

Originally posted here by ShadowQueen
    What clients, services, and protocols do you have running for your network connectivity?

SQ....
    Well, I am not sure what you mean by "Clients" on this system, it's a standard Win 2k pro., fully patched.

Services, nothing out of the ordinary, Anti-Virus (Norton), Firewall (ZoneAlarm), Adware (Adware 6.0).

Protocols, TCP/IP for Internet and NETBUEI for the internal network.

Cheers:
    DjM

DjM... have you tried disabling ZA on the desktop for a couple of minutes to see if you can access the net without the firewall running? Obviously this isn't something you wanna do for long (couple of minutes maybe - and obviously disable file/print sharing whilst for the time that the firewall is off)...

I'm just wondering if the ISP's DHCP server has renewed your IP recently and ZA has blocked access. If I'm not mistaken, if your IP has been renewed with a different one recently ZA would probably see this as a 'new' network connecting - it should ask you if you want to connect to the new network but maybe for some weird reason it didn't (is your lappy running ZA or some other flavour of firewall?).

I guess you might already have tried this so it is a bit of a shot in the dark but...

Z
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes

Originally posted here by Zonewalker
    DjM... have you tried disabling ZA on the desktop for a couple of minutes to see if you can access the net without the firewall running? Obviously this isn't something you wanna do for long (couple of minutes maybe - and obviously disable file/print sharing whilst for the time that the firewall is off)...

I'm just wondering if the ISP's DHCP server has renewed your IP recently and ZA has blocked access. If I'm not mistaken, if your IP has been renewed with a different one recently ZA would probably see this as a 'new' network connecting - it should ask you if you want to connect to the new network but maybe for some weird reason it didn't (is your lappy running ZA or some other flavour of firewall?).

I guess you might already have tried this so it is a bit of a shot in the dark but...

Z
    Well this was suggested by my IPS's tech support too. To tell you the truth, I am a little paranoid about trying this, there are just to many worms out there. I will save this as a last resort and I will make sure my Anti-Virus is current to the minute.

Cheers:

PS: The ZA logs didn't show any problems with things being blocked.
    DjM

If you are running Zone Alarm.....you can add a 'Zone' for your internal network.
    That way it allows full traffic flow between internal computers, while still blocking external connections.

I'll take you up on the 'Beer'. Look forward to it !

To simply answer your question.....Clients, Services, and Protocols assist in allowing you to connect to your network and the internet. Check your Network and dialup connections and look for things like the following:

Clients are like:
    Client service for Netware
    Client for Microsoft Networks

Services are like:
    File and printer sharing for Microsoft Networks

Protocols are like:
    NetBEUI
    NetBIOS
    TCP/IP

Are you trying to connect through a router out to your modem? Or are you directly connected to your modem? Do you have the drivers installed for the hardware you are using? Check your network/dialup connections and make sure you have the TCP/IP protocol install. Make sure you have good connectivity, check/test your CATV cables if you have a testor. Also, make sure all of your lights, NIC, modem, router, or whatever are doing the "happy dance" showing connectivity.

Ufortunately, ZA does have some connectivity issues with Win2K, especially if you have a Win98 box on your network. Don't aske me why, I just had a hell of a time figuring out why my network wouldn't work. I uninstalled ZA on the Win98 box and everything came together. Try disabling it (make sure it is completely out of shared memory) and/or uninstalling it completely.

Good luck,
    SQ.....

My guess; Your NIC settings are b0rked, prolly from something trivial like a power failure.
    Simply un-install them in windows, re-boot and re-config, since your using DHCP this shouldn't take too long.

It wouldn't really matter which kind of ISP you have, if your not getting a LAN ip, it's local and has NOTHING to do with the ISP at all. Since it won't release or renew your IP, it pretty much leaves only that singel machine, nothing else on the Network could be causing it in quite the same way, thus, your best of re-installing every thing, if that still dosn't work, try a New NIC.

- Noia
    With all the subtlety of an artillery barrage / Follow blindly, for the true path is sketchy at best. .:Bring OS X to x86!:.
    Og ingen kan minnast dei linne drag i dronningas andlet den fagre dag Då landet her kvilte i heilag fred og alle hadde kjærleik å elske med.