Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Tech Help needed with internet connection.

Well gang, after pissing around with my computer most of the weekend, I still came up blank. I pulled the NIC, uninstalled TCP/IP rebooted. I reinstalled the NIC(differant slot) rebooted, no luck. I removed the old NIC again, removed TCP/IP again, and installed a new NIC (3com) and rebooted, the computer found the new hardware and installed it with the current drivers. Went in to do an ipconfig and got the "An operation was attempted on something that is not a socket ." At this point I resigned myself to the fact that the IP stack was totally screwed because it would not bind to the NIC. The only thing to do now, reinstall Windows. Now I had a secondary disk with WIN 2K on it so I installed it and started the rebuild (installing patches, firewall upgrade Anti-virus upgrade...etc). After about 4 1/2 hours, I am just about rebuilt, and I get a call from a friend who points me to This.
    In short, after all that pissing around, it turns out to be some stupid registry entries are corrupted. Now I did do a search at Microsoft for this problem, but I must have been searching the wrong keywords.

Anyhow, I am back up and surfing.

Thanks to everyone here that offered suggestions and help. I hope the discussion in this thread may help someone in the future.

Cheers:
    DjM

LOL - typical, its always the thing you least expect. Still I learned something from the last post of yours DjM so cheers!

Glad to know your back up and running

Z
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes

Originally posted here by DjM
    Well gang, after pissing around with my computer most of the weekend, I still came up blank. I pulled the NIC, uninstalled TCP/IP rebooted. I reinstalled the NIC(differant slot) rebooted, no luck. I removed the old NIC again, removed TCP/IP again, and installed a new NIC (3com) and rebooted, the computer found the new hardware and installed it with the current drivers. Went in to do an ipconfig and got the "An operation was attempted on something that is not a socket ." At this point I resigned myself to the fact that the IP stack was totally screwed because it would not bind to the NIC. The only thing to do now, reinstall Windows. Now I had a secondary disk with WIN 2K on it so I installed it and started the rebuild (installing patches, firewall upgrade Anti-virus upgrade...etc). After about 4 1/2 hours, I am just about rebuilt, and I get a call from a friend who points me to This.
    In short, after all that pissing around, it turns out to be some stupid registry entries are corrupted. Now I did do a search at Microsoft for this problem, but I must have been searching the wrong keywords.

Anyhow, I am back up and surfing.

Thanks to everyone here that offered suggestions and help. I hope the discussion in this thread may help someone in the future.

Cheers:
    Question: Was this the same socket error that you were reporting earlier? I got the impression that the earlier post you made was just a simple socket error, versus the more serious sounding 'could not perform socket operation on something that is not a socket'? Are you sure it wasn't changing the cards/tcpip stacks that corrupted your registry?

The reason I am asking is that I was doing something stupid this past week and was having very similar symptoms and socket errors and it turned out that I had been out travelling somewhere with my laptop and had turned off the DHCP service (and my personal firewall was interfering with the DHCP assignment). Anyways, sounds a little stupid I know, but sometimes it is the most obvious things (like forgetting that you turned off the DHCP service) that drive you batty because you keep looking for a bigger problem.

Dunno, glad you got it fixed.

/nebulus
    There is only one constant, one universal, it is the only real truth: causality. Action. Reaction. Cause and effect...There is no escape from it, we are forever slaves to it. Our only hope, our only peace is to understand it, to understand the 'why'. 'Why' is what separates us from them, you from me. 'Why' is the only real social power, without it you are powerless.

(Merovingian - Matrix Reloaded)

Question: Was this the same socket error that you were reporting earlier?
    Yep, it is, I thought I mentioned the complete error message in one of my insane rambling's.

Are you sure it wasn't changing the cards/tcpip stacks that corrupted your registry?
    Yep, pretty sure. I didn't start swapping cards and uninstalling things until the problem started.

Now, my son uses this machine a lot, I suspect something that he downloaded and installed is what screwed the registry.

Cheers:
    DjM