Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Tech Help needed with internet connection.

Hi DjM... sorry not been around to answer... been watching a film on TV

to be honest MsMittens has suggested pretty much all I was going to suggest... but you say the desktop has no valid IP... have you tried pinging the loop back IP?

I admit the cable theory is a weird one... but it is possible that a couple of the wires inside have gone so I'd agree with MsMittens on that.

Only other thing I can think of... is have you tried reseating the NIC on the desktop - maybe one of the contacts has lost it slightly (maybe even worth taking a little surgical alcohol to it to clean up the gold connectors - be careful if you do this won't you!)... long shot I know but could be worth a go.

It is a hub and you bet I'm firewalled.
    LOL... glad to hear that

Z
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes

I hate to sound obvious or dumb or something but have you tried to ping 127.0.0.1 this should tell you if the network card is doing anything.

you stated that you dont have an IP? I must be missing something if you have your printer setup as a network printer, I cant think of anyway you would be able to send the protocol and signal without an ip to communicate on. so you should have some form of an internal ip or soemthing setup. Let us know... thanks
    Duct tape.....A whole lot of Duct Tape
    Spyware/Adaware problem click
    here

have you tried to ping 127.0.0.1
    spyrus - not to be rude or anything but what do you think

have you tried pinging the loop back IP?
    means?? It is a valid question though I'll grant you that - and it's not a dumb question

Z

Originally posted here by DjM

Sorry MsM, can't go static, have to pay extra for that, and I still think with AO's help me can figure this mess out.

Cheers:
    I think what she meant, is for the desktop itself, not the dsl router. You can set an internal ip address static, so it doesn't need to get it from the router. Something like 192.168.x.x or 10.10.x.x

Also, being that you can print, your network card is absolutely working. So, the good thing, is that it's not a hardware problem.

Check your router's settings to see exactly what ip range can pass through, and see how many internal ip addresses it will assign.

Make sure, that on the desktop, you set the ip address of the router (most of the times 192.168.0.1) as your gateway. Also, an internal static ip address, solves alot of confusion sometimes. It's just easier to know which machine has which ip address, especially if it's a small network.

I doubt that your hardware got damaged because you can still print to the network printer. Sounds simply like a config problem as far as your ip addresses go. That would be the first thing to check.

--PuRe
    Like this post? Visit PuRe\'s Information Technology Community. We\'ve also got some kick ass Technology Forums. Shop for books and dvds on LiveWebShop.com

PuRE... nah he can't do that ... he's got the ADSL modem connected up through the WAN port of a hub not a router - DjM confirmed that in his second post... your suggestion would only work if he had a router. I agree that getting a router rather than hub would be better (after all its how I got my little collection hooked up ) - but I guess it depends on the $$$ DjM has spare

Z

zone.... I must have looked right over the loopback question... hehe guess thats what I get for not looking hard enough.

Someone had mentioned reseating the card, you may want to reseat it into a different pci slot instead of the same one.. I have seen this fixing things in the past.
    Duct tape.....A whole lot of Duct Tape
    Spyware/Adaware problem click
    here

spyrus... LOL... that would also be me who mentioned reseating the card... but yeah reseating in a different pci slot is worth a go.

anyway I'm definitely going to catch up on sleep now... so I'll leave this poser in the hands of you guys

good luck DjM

Z

Regal Making Handler
    Uninstall the nic from device manager then reboot go through the found new hardware routine and re install the drivers. Re seating the nic wont do any harm either.
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

Did you issue get resolved yet?
    Like this post? Visit PuRe\'s Information Technology Community. We\'ve also got some kick ass Technology Forums. Shop for books and dvds on LiveWebShop.com

Originally posted here by Zonewalker
    PuRE... nah he can't do that ... he's got the ADSL modem connected up through the WAN port of a hub not a router - DjM confirmed that in his second post... your suggestion would only work if he had a router. I agree that getting a router rather than hub would be better (after all its how I got my little collection hooked up ) - but I guess it depends on the $$$ DjM has spare

Z
    Zone,

He has to be using a router, otherwise how would he be able to share one public IP address...
    Im assuming her has residential DSL ( One dynamic IP....atleast that is the way carriers provision it here in the US),,,,,A DSL modem is a general term,,,,it is either a DSL bridge or a DSL router...It is a combination of a DTE device along with a DCE device...

Anyway, I think Pure was on to something,,,,,,It definetly looks like a PAT/NAT issue with his router....It has nothing to do with his NIC.....

Just my opinion,,,,

Cheers....