Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Tech Help needed with internet connection.

Thanks for the back up gunit0072003. I know what I'm talking about. I didn't go to school to be a network engineer for nothing, but people can try what they want. I'm sure the info I gave would fix his problem if he just listened. He probably went off and reseated a nic that didn't need to be touched. He clearly said it works for network printing, why in hell would he need to reseat the nic card then? Some people just don't make any damn sense.

--PuRe
    Like this post? Visit PuRe\'s Information Technology Community. We\'ve also got some kick ass Technology Forums. Shop for books and dvds on LiveWebShop.com

gunit... actually it is technically possible to connect an ADSL modem to a hub..... note I'm NOT saying it's a good way to connect to the internet... in effect you end up sharing the LAN with the ADSL WAN. You're right that if connecting to the net this way the ADSL modem does have to have either a bridge, switch or router as part of the device but it's not usually all that configurable by the end user - at least in my experience - you might have a different view

Also please can you notice that in my first post I specifically asked if DjM was using a hub or a router.... because DjM's first post confused me too. DjM's reply was that it was a hub he was using..... hence my reply to PuRe. I know PuRe ain't being stupid and I think his suggestion is a good one and one I would agree with IF DjM is using a router - but from his posts he is using a hub. I'm only giving my answers based on DjM's replies. Understand where I'm coming from now - read the whole thread a bit more closely will ya

Djm can you help us out - are you actually using a router or a hub... and if your using a hub does your modem have some switch/router capabilities???

Z
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes

Thanks for all the replies guys.

He has to be using a router, otherwise how would he be able to share one public IP address...
    It is a Hub, believe me, my ISP allow's up to two devices (MAC address) to attach via the ADSL, after that I pay extra.

Did you issue get resolved yet?
    Nope, I gave up, I am at work today and am going to check with a few other Techies here to see if they have any ideas.

Djm can you help us out - are you actually using a router or a hub... and if your using a hub does your modem have some switch/router capabilities???
    It's A Hub believe me...It's a Digi Micro Hub, I don't know the model right now. And no the modem does not have switch/router capabilities (the modem is a D-Link).

Uninstall the nic from device manager then reboot go through the found new hardware routine and re install the drivers.
    Now this is something I haven't tried as yet, might be worth a shot.

Once again thanks for the help gang, keep it coming if you think of anything else.

Cheers:
    DjM

DjM ,

I think we were all confused because here in the US and I think Europe as well, residential DSL is provisioned for one user only...You made it more clearer for us by telling us that your ISP allows up to 2 users..

Just an FYI......it is incorrect to call the DSL modem a hub.......it is either a bridge or a router,,,
    (it may have a built in hub........buts that's irrelevant.....we were merely trying to determine what type of DTE device it was........a hub is not a DTE device....)

Anyway, now that it is clear what you have......I would still go back to Pure's point and look into PAT/NAT issue. Somewhere along the line a router has to exist that is performing the translation....and in your case it is clearly at the ISP's premise..

Forgot to mention also, is your ISP using PPoE (point to point over Ethernet) where you have to also authenticate first with ISP before you get an IP address...Issue maybe related to PPoE driver and or not authenticating properly....

Cheers...

P.S.
    Zonewalker, your right ...I should have mentioned his comment as well..

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    gunit, I don't think he ever said the modem was a hub. I believe he said that a hub was connected to the DSL via the wan port of the hub and that the DSL provides for two DHCP'd addresses for free from the same modem. In addition, the modem isn't anything more than a simple gateway (minimal router).
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Thanks gunnit,

it is incorrect to call the DSL modem a hub
    I am not calling my ADSL modem a Hub. I have a D-Link ADSL modem plugged into a Digi Micro Hub via a cross-over cable, from the Hub I have two PC's plugged in, a laptop (functioning) and a Desktop (not functioning).

Forgot to mention also, is your ISP using PPoE (point to point over Ethernet) where you have to also authenticate first with ISP before you get an IP address...Issue maybe related to PPoE driver and or not authenticating properly....
    No authentication is required, DHCP is served up (or suppose to be) at boot-up. Both PC's are configured to use DHCP.

Cheers:
    DjM

Just some later thoughts....Hmmm. So your PC is not pulling an address from DHCP but can print. We've tried to isolate IP issues versus hardware issues but have failed so far. You can print but that doesn't mean you are printing using TCP/IP. In fact it can't print via TCP/IP since you have NO address. Most likely IPX or some other printer protocol so the electronics portion of the nic works but that doesn't mean the higher layer software is working...

Have you removed the hub? Plug the desktop right into the modem and do a renew. If you still get a socket error then your card is toast or the driver is blown... or something else related to that newtork connection. You can assign it a static that the laptop is issued just to see if it works. Meaning unplug the laptop and assign the same setting to the desktop manually.

You did mention that your ISP limits your MAC address? I have never seen this myself but there are a lot of ISPs out there. Have tech support or yourself clear the routing tables in the router. I know you have spent some time with them but it's worth a shot.

I am leaning toward bad software on the NIC. I mean it can print but not pull and IP? Either that or bad driver in windows or something like a firewall or windows security update blocking the response from the DHCP server. My own internal Diablo server stoped working after and update that locked all access to the box, period. Couldn't even ping it on my own internal trusted network.

By the way, if you went out and bought a 20 dollar gateway router that would get around the limitation of only 2 MACs and also you could hook it up just to see if your PC pulled an address from it.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

You can print but that doesn't mean you are printing using TCP/IP.
    That's right I am running NetBEUI for my printer sharing.

Have you removed the hub?
    That's a little difficult, the Hub is hooked up in my basement, and the desktop is on the second floor of my house. Now, I said difficult but not impossible, I can give that a try next weekend if the problem is this there.

Have tech support or yourself clear the routing tables in the router.
    HA!, the 'tech support' guy I was talking to yesterday didn't even know you could uninstall the TCP/IP stack and re-install it. I doubt he's going to know what the routing tables are.

You can assign it a static that the laptop is issued just to see if it works.
    I am saving this as my last step, my ISP charges extra for static IP (don't ask me why ), however if I am still having problems next weekend, I will ask them if we can do it, if for know other reason than to debug the problem.

Cheers:
    DjM

Originally posted here by MsMittens
    gunit, I don't think he ever said the modem was a hub. I believe he said that a hub was connected to the DSL via the wan port of the hub and that the DSL provides for two DHCP'd addresses for free from the same modem. In addition, the modem isn't anything more than a simple gateway (minimal router).
    I dont know why a hub would be compared to a router....Every data communications system contains at a minimum a DTE and a DCE device on the local end, some type of transmission medium from the carrier in the "middle", and then again a DTE and a DCE device at the remote end.

The term modem that is associated with DSl and Cable devices was adopted by marketing people to simplify technology to average user..Average user can relate to what a modem is, however do not understand concept/differences between a Bridge and a Router....A modem is simply a DCE device,,,example of DCE devices include:

1) Modem (which is technically associated with analog circuits) used with good old POTs(Plain Old Telephone systems)/analog lines..Modem is a modulator and a demodulator hence the term modem,,,converts digital signals from PC/LAN to analog for transmission over analog circuits...and reverses the process on remote end..

2) DSU a digital DCE device used for DDS circuits

3)CSU a digital DCE device used for T1/fractional circuits

4) For cable and DSL technology..the signal is purely digital and to the best of my knowledge they have not come up with a technical term except bundling everything together(DTE/DCE,,,router or bridge) confusing everybody, and calling it a DSL modem,,or cable modem... I think this was done so because this technology was really aimed/marketed to residential users (who are a lot less technical) than professional engineers working in corporate environment....

There is no such thing as "minimal router" it is either a router/layer 3 device or bridge/layer 2 device.....That is the point I am trying to convey..........

Just my opinion

cheers.............

The first thing that i would of done was check to see if the nic card was working after doing i would check my network ip configuration to see if all pc's on the network have the same ip address, and then from the pc the desktop ping 127.0.0.1 to check the integity of your network......Q: Are you using your laptop as the router?

Taiwl