Thread: WinXP will not restart or shutdown

Unhappy WinXP will not restart or shutdown

A friend of mind ask me to come check her computer cause it wouldn't restart or shutdown.

When I got there I realized that MSBlast was on her computer and hence I removed it. However, removing MSBlast didn't solve the problem.

The problem is that the computer wouldn't restart using the start->Turn off computer->Restart option and it wouldn't shutdown either using that option. It will however shut down using ctrl-alt-del and then signing off the user and then shutdown at the signoff screen.

I am just wondering if any of you guys have experienced this problem before. Is it related to a virus or was that caused by MSBlast? Or does it have to do with something else?

Let me know what you guys think. Thanks.

Guidance...
    - The mind is too beautiful to waste...
    Cutty

well i had a problem once where i would click "shutdown computer" or whatever, and instead of shutting down, it would restart. i tried to shut it down 5 times that way because i was bored and finally i just ripped out the power cord. I have just had that problem once, though...any thoughts about how that was caused? Sorry cutty...i didnt really help solve your problem, hopefully someone will help both of us
    Support your right to arm bears.

^^This was the first video game which i played on an old win3.1 box

Well you may have another virus on your compter, a boot sector virus that could be altering your settings. I suggest doing a virus scan with your definitions updated. If you didnt already apply the patch for MSBlast do so. Sometimes MSblast, once removed, will still cause problems until it is patched.
    [gloworange]And then it happened... a door opened to a world... rushing through the phone line like heroin through an addict\'s veins, an electronic pulse is sent out, a refuge from the day-to-day incompetencies is sought... a board is found. \"This is it... this is where I belong...\" I know everyone here... even if I\'ve never met them, never talked to them, may never hear from them again... I know you all...[/gloworange]

Go out to support.microsoft.com and search for Windows XP hangs on shutdown, or troubleshooting shutdown issues. There are a lot of different causes of this problem.

Here are a few articles that might be helpful..

http://support.microsoft.com/default...&Product=winxp
    http://support.microsoft.com/default...&Product=winxp

Thanks for all the help guys. After trying everything possible I realize that the antiviral software on my friends' PC was out of date and expired. That sucks. I just took it for granted that most people ensure that they had at least a good working antiviral software but was I wrong.

Anyway I installed and ran AVG and it found two occurrences of BackDoor.Delf.142 and I obviously cleaned that out of the system and now everything works fine.

Backdoor.Delf is a Backdoor Trojan that allows unauthorized access to the infected computer. It will also stop the process of some antivirus and firewall software. Backdoor.Delf works only on Windows NT, 2000, and XP systems.
    So that's what was causing WinXP not to shutdown or restart. BackDoor.Delf

Anyway thanks again guys.

Guidance...
    - The mind is too beautiful to waste...
    Cutty

So it wasn't a bug..

it was a feature
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !