Social Enginering-or-Joke

Thread: Social Enginering-or-Joke

Social Enginering-or-Joke

I received this in one of my mail accounts today. (see attachment)
    It is either an attempt to social enginer to con money or something, or some one has a very sick sense of humor. It came from:
    Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2003 19:23:29 -0400 (EST)
    From: CarderPortal.Org <Darci_Eluned@excite.com> [add to address book] [protect or block sender]
    Subject: You credit card has been charged for $234.65
    To: XXXXXXXXX@lycos.com
    Reply To: Darci_Eluned@excite.com
    Any one got an opinion(now that is really asking for it--here)
    /edit: This was at the bottom of the e-mail
    Contacts:

\"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Social engineering scam IMHO. I'd look at the source. Heck, it's full of typos.

http://www.internetfraudservices.com...cardcharge.htm
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Thanks MsMittens, I didn't know that this has been seen before. And the typos and mis-spelling led me to think it had to be a joke.
    Moxnix
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown

This appears to be an attempt to get your credit card Info. Ignore it or report it to your bank to ensure nothing has been charged against your account.

Cheers:
    DjM

I'm impressed.....it looks like a very good attempt to get your credit card number. I wouldn't have sent my number, but I can see that it looks convincing enough to fool a lot of people.....scary. Thanks for the heads up, too.

thats bull. you would seriously have to be THE dumbest person alive to reply with your CC #.
    \"Look, Doc, I spent last Tuesday watching fibers on my carpet. And the whole time I was watching my carpet, I was worrying that I, I might vomit. And the whole time, I was thinking, \"I\'m a grown man. I should know what goes on my head.\" And the more I thought about it... the more I realized that I should just blow my brains out and end it all. But then I thought, well, if I thought more about blowing my brains out... I start worrying about what that was going to do to my goddamn carpet. Okay, so, ah-he, that was a GOOD day, Doc. And, and I just want you to give me some pills and let me get on with my life. \" -Roy Waller

Banned
    Not stupid -- uneducated. Some people only use the computer for Word, and the occasional email - what do *they* know of security, social engineering and the other nastys?

slick8790, i'd bet one in 20 people, if not more, reply with their info. It is very disturbing to see this happening on the web. Just recently my mother recieved one of these on her aol account, and luckely she asked me about it before doing anything. If I had not been there, she probably would have entered her credit card for 'verifacation and cancellation'. People who send scam spam should be shot
    Ron Paul: Hope for America
    http://www.ronpaul2008.com/

People who send scam spam should be shot
    Nah, just hacked .

This is a prime example of someone targeting massive numbers of email users in hopes of finding some one who is a newbie, or totally gullable, in order to steal thier credit information...and the sad part is that these attacks do produce results for the attacker.
    Malefactoris vester ante accedo...
    ~Arcani