Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NT install problem

NT install problem

Dear ones:
    i have a dual processor system ( PIII 550mhz,256 mb ram, 64mb matrox display, seagate 32 gb scsi x 5 hdd's) which fails to install win 2k server, pro, xp, NT,
    except nt all os's showing file copy error message in file copy process, i have replaced the cdrom drive and checked but in vain, the cd's are working well in other systems, the NT shows the following error message
    **********STOP: 0x0000004E (0x00000002, 0x000021FB, 0x00000001)
    PFN_LIST_CORRUPT
    with some file lists like
    ntoskrnl.exe
    setupdd.sys
    pcmcia.sys
    cpqarray.sys
    atapi.sys
    spock.sys
    ahal54x.sys
    ultral4f.sys.........................

please advice to rectify

regards
    prem

http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;139281

Check out this link. As usual MS doesn't say much besides install latest service pack. With Dual processors; however, I would recommend a minimum of 512 MB of RAM The errors also indicate a possiable video card issue. Try using a different video card.

Dino

0x0000004E Stop errors normally occur when a driver corrupts the I/O driver structures or a stick of RAM becomes buggy. Since your error occurs on install, I would suspect the RAM. Also, if you are using 3rd party drivers during install, the issue could lie there but may be resolved by upgrading the system BIOS. I would also bounce your systems hardware off the Windows HCL for the OS to be used.

Good Luck!
    The mentally handicaped are persecuted in this great country, and I say rightfully so! These people are NUTS!!!!

You will probably also want to run a low level diagnostic scan on the harddrive that you are trying to install the OS on. Based on the info you have provided, it would definitely seem to be some type of hardware problem.

Is your CD Rom on the Secondary IDE Channel ?

What raid controller are you using? Or what scsi controller? Did you whack F6 at install to load the driver for the scsi controller?

are you using a pirated version of windows,
    or is it an orginal?

if it is pirated, then some files might have been corrupted of something

I would lean towards replacing your RAM...

While it could be other issues, most 0x4e seem to be related to corrupted RAM, in my experience that is...

The last time I received one the code was:
    STOP 0x0000004e (0x00000007, 0x00007abf, 0x0000f17e, 0x00000000)PFN_LIST_CORRUPT

Which seemed quite similar to yours, and it was a bad stick of RAM causing it...

RRP

The Iceman Cometh
    It's most likely what Jeffs72 suggested (I think that's much more liekly than RAM). A client had a similar problem installing Windows 2000 on a SCSI system. She wasn't adding the drivers during the install, so as soon as the installer tried to access the drives, the system crashed with a similar (maybe even the exact) error message.

AJ

My first rule of thumb is to eliminate the hardware issues so you can move on to software issues. When was the last time you opened up and cleaned/blew the dust out of your box? Pulled and reseated your chips and cards? Check your hardware configurations and make sure your dip switches are set correctly for whatever hardware settings you are using, i.e. Cdrom, scsi, RAID, and etc. Check to make sure your fans and cables are in good shape. When was the last time you replaced the CMOS battery? I know that they are suppose to last for years but when they go, your computer has a tendency to forget little things like....it's a computer! I hope this helps you.....

Good luck,
    SQ.....