How to Tell if Your MS e-mail is Genuine.

Thread: How to Tell if Your MS e-mail is Genuine.

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar

How to Tell if Your MS e-mail is Genuine.

OK, since our phones have been ringing off the hook with reported SVEN infections, I decided to send out a broadcast message to all of my paranoid end users to explain to them that they are not actaully infected...

Anyway, I included this little link to help them cope with their paranoia and I thought others here may want to keep this ready for their next canned broadcast e-mail regarding viruses. basically, it tells them how to look for a genuine security announcement from M$. Hope it helps out.

http://www.microsoft.com/security/an...icate_mail.asp

--TH13
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Umm... I generally tell users that MS is NOT that customer oriented enough to send you the fix directly. And only if you sign up do you get email from MS about patches and fixes and such.

Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

LOL,

The more I try the worse they get. We now send out voicemail, e-mail and intercom announcements. For some reason, if we don't do all of these things, people tend to leave comprehension in the crapper.

Remember that commercial, "Hooked on phonics"? Well I'm thinking of sending a copy to everyone here.

Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

My clients are receiving that MS email with (installer59.exe) containing the w32.gibe.C.worm.

I have a copy of the email.....which originally originated at Microsoft, and contains Links, Logos, etc. Someone added the virus.......

I wonder how they got so many 'Corporate' email address ?

Some people will never learn. You can lead a horse to water but you sure as hell cant make em drink. same with users.

PeacE
    -BoB
    #!/usr/local/bin/perl -s-- -export-a-crypto-system-sig -RSA-in-3-lines-PERL
    ($k,$n)=@ARGV;$m=unpack(H.$w,$m.\"\\0\"x$w),$_=`echo \"16do$w 2+4Oi0$d*-^1[d2%
    Sa2/d0<X+d*La1=z\\U$n%0]SX$k\"[$m*]\\EszlXx++p|dc`,s/^.|\\W//g,print pack(\'H*\'
    ,$_)while read(STDIN,$m,($w=2*$d-1+length($n||die\"$0 [-d] k n\\n\")&~1)/2)

I wonder how they got so many 'Corporate' email address ?
    The worm uses the good ol' address book on each system it infects. This is a cornerstone technique that has been used for years.