SUS now supports service pack distribution

Thread: SUS now supports service pack distribution

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar

SUS now supports service pack distribution

For those who use SUS, it is now capable of pushing out service packs. There is a 155 meg update that needs to be installed and then you are ready to go. Woohoo!!

Here is a snip from the site:

"Software Update Services now provides Windows service packs (SPs), in addition to critical and security updates. SUS will deliver Windows XP SP1, Windows 2000 SP4, and all future service packs for Windows 2000, Windows XP, and the Windows Serverô 2003 family of products..."

For those not familiar with SUS, it is a free patch management system that is available from Microsoft.

Here is a link to the site:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

Happy patching!

--TH13
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

Great news! Thanks for posting!

Great news indeed. I'm just about to setup our SUS server...

Reading from the MS site, it says that it requires w2k server or w2k3 server; I had been told by someone (don't even remember whom) that I can be run on a w2k/xp workstation also... which I now doubt. Can anyone confirm/infirm on this? Thx

Ammo
    Credit travels up, blame travels down -- The Boss

The Iceman Cometh
    Reading from the MS site, it says that it requires w2k server or w2k3 server; I had been told by someone (don't even remember whom) that I can be run on a w2k/xp workstation also... which I now doubt. Can anyone confirm/infirm on this? Thx
    A while ago (probably a year or more ago), I had SUS running off of a Windows 2000 Pro box in my home office. That was before SUS SP1 was released, though. I'm not sure if it's changed or not. A few months later, I dumped everything and upgraded to all new systems and a new infrastructure, so I've been running it on a Windows 2000 Server (and now a Windows 2003 Ent. Server) since. It may still run on 2000 Pro or XP Pro. I'd suggest to try to install it and see what happens.

AJ

Ok, thanx for the info avdven...

I'll still try it for sure... I'll try to remember posting the results when it happens...

Ammo
    Credit travels up, blame travels down -- The Boss