Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: can anyone suggest trojan scanning software

can anyone suggest trojan scanning software

Hello all, I was wondering if anyone could suggest a good
    trojan scanner to check for trojans and keyloggers?
    I know i can search google, but was interested in the opinions
    of those that have used such programs, and found which of these
    is thourough in its operation.
    Thanks for all info and suggestions. TidaLphasE23.

I like using this site for online scanning: http://www.alken.nl/online-security-check.htm
    Strike Like Lightening...Envelop Like Darkeness...
    As Strong As Thunder...As Swift As The Wind...
    As Calm As the Water...~Sun Tzu~

The Cleaner http://moosoft.com

I know i can search google, but was interested in the opinions
    of those that have used such programs, and found which of these
    is thourough in its operation.
    Always search Google before you post. At least you admit to your laziness and your need for others to do the footwork for you. Good going.

Hi Tidal!

You really ought to have AdAware6.0 from lavasoft, and SpyBot search & destroy. You will have to Google cos I am too drunk/lazy right now They are free for private use...and they work!

You can get a 30 day trial of "Pest Patrol", that is a product that is more bot/trojan directed than your standard AV

You might like to check out http://www.diamondcs.au ? They have a couple of good commercial products, and some nice free security stuff.

Cheers

Edit: BTW Master Sergeant "when the whole World is at peace, a wise man walks with his sword at his side"................same source

let's not forget Tauscan >http://www.agnitum.com (the cleaner and Tauscan are the tops in my book)
    their outpost firewall is good too.. (although sygate is used on most of my boxes)

and yeah they do offer 30 day trials

Drunk On Duvel,
    Always search Google before you post.At least you admit to your laziness and your need for others to do the footwork for you.Good going.
    Did you really read my post? I asked for opinions on which programs people have used and which ones they found to work well. I cant see how that is being lazy or asking you to do the footwork for me, I just wanted your opinion on this, thanks anyways.

nihil, I have AdAware.6 and SpyBot search & destroy and use these often. I read an article on
    Antispyware Software and in it they tested

AdAware6
    Aladdin Internet Cleanup 3
    Aluria Spyware Eliminator 3
    InfoWorks Technology SpyRemover 1.30B
    InfoWorks Technology Spystopper 4.5
    McAfee QuickClean 3
    PestPatrol Home Edition
    Spybot-Search & Destroy 1.2

None of the products cleaned our system completely, even after several tries. More disturbingly, some of them reported the system being completely clean when this wasn't the case.
    The highest rating programs didn't trap the key logger or failed to clean all it detected. With these test bench results, how can you be certain that your system has been cleaned completely?
    Thanks for your replies. TidaLphasE23

which keylogger were they using in their tests ?

I really haven't investigated what agnitum means when they say tauscan..

Examines every application that you launch to make sure you're not sending private information to unauthorized people.
    but why don't you grab that keylogger they used and try it out against tauscan.
    (and let us know)

Hi Tidal,

Good to hear that you have the basics, and use them! Sorry to tell you this mate, but welcome to reality

The bad guys will always be one jump ahead of your standard software, free or otherwise.

You have to build a layered defence, that they don't have time to break?

All your security measures will do is buy you time...just like your car?

Cheers

To add to what has been said.. none will be 100%, and the best will only be 99.9% for a short while....

You have spybot S&D it will help with some common ones..
    The Claener and Tauscan are good but not free (you didn't mention cost)
    others to try include TFAK (trojan First Aid Kit) was ok last time I checked

Not much help .. sry.. But you will find that in some installation profiles some software will work better than in other profiles.. (installation profile is the Hardware software installation combination for a system).. This will affect any AV and even Trojan Scanners....

Cheers
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

Concerned Paranoid.....

That is me in a cyber nutshell. I am extremely careful, run spybot all the time, have active x filtering, email scanning, popup blockers, on access file scanning, software and hardware based firewalls the works, yadda yadda. So I still managed to get Cydor installed the other day?? I added Pest Patrol to my collection lately. So far in my opinion, it's a great compliment to spybot. It' like a quick graphical version of netstat.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.