IE 6 Problem with Hotmail/Banking Sites
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: IE 6 Problem with Hotmail/Banking Sites

IE 6 Problem with Hotmail/Banking Sites

I have a client using IE 6 on Windows 2000 Pro SP4 with all patches applyed who cannot access hotmail and banking sites. (The machine does have the 128 bit encryption pack for IE) I can log into the machine with another username (creating a new profile) and access these sites fine. It seems that all the security and advanced tab settings are the same on that machine as another machine that can access the website. Do you guys have any ideas?
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

one time i couldn't not log in to my hotmail account and all i had to do y clear the cookies and temporary internet files i don't know if this is the same problem or if you haven't try it give it a try.

Good Luck:d

Did you run IE fix? Sometimes a file gets corrupted... man can't think of it right now. But it causes internet setting to get whacked. Also the banking certificate may have got currupted, you can try re-installing it. They are profile specific in some cases. In fact since hotmail doesn't work either blow out all the caches.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

I already have cleared the cookies, the cache and the history on the machine. I have deleted all the temp files I could find, and still nothing.

RoadClosed: Where can you find the IE fix?
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

try using mozilla or opera good browsers or try re-installing IE6

Originally posted here by GrApHiCTrOn
    try using mozilla or opera good browsers or try re-installing IE6
    Mozilla and other open source browsers are not an option in this case. (The person is not very tech savy and loves her IE) I thought about reinstalling IE, but there is nothing wrong with it since I can access the bank and hotmail pages from another account on the machine.

Let me get back to ya. There is and IE fix program like Office and Outlook have.... meeting now. BRB.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.

Is this from their home or office computer? Not sure if this is related, but someone that I know at another company told me recently that they are no longer allowed/able to access external mail sites, such as hotmail, aol, etc. from inside the corporate network.
    just making some minor adjustments to your system....

Lol Quick meeting.

The repair program is in Add remove programs under internet explorer. Click Add/Remove and you "should" have a repair option.

If that doesn't work Re-apply service pack 6.

The file I was thinking of that deals with restrictions in IE is inetcpl.cpl - in the past I have extracted fresh versions from XP cds to avoide blowing the bowser config completely. I know you are using 2k but.... who knows

Also I was looking arounf the registry under CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\ but haven't found anything. Someone who is better at the reg could have a look there?
    West of House

have you tryed
    Tools>
    Reset Web settings. . .

in the IE.. menu bar