Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Going Wireless - Opinions Needed

Question Going Wireless - Opinions Needed

I messed around with wireless networking about a year ago when it wasn't as advanced as it is now. Quite frankly, it sucked and was slow.

However, wireless technology has seemed to advance, and all the networking cables I am using on my company web servers are starting to become a hassle to work with.

Does anyone have any opinions on going wireless in a network that is primarily for web hosting? Has wireless technology reached the point where it is reliable and speedy enough for such a network? Has anyone else here in the same business gone wireless?

Thanks for any info.
    An Ounce of Prevention is Worth a Pound of Cure...

I wouldn't use wireless in my hosting environment, but it may be suitable for others environments. If you are serving up static pages/sites that have relatively low bandwidth requirements wireless may not be a bad solution. I wouldn't recommend it if you were doing any sort of e-commerce or portal solutions connecting to backend databases. IMHO

I'm curious as to what other people may have to say about this?

btw- it seems that a mess of network cables seem to be driving this question, why not get some sort of cable management hardware, you could pick some up real cheap. one of the best tools that i've found to help manage the rats' nest of cabling is a roll of velcro. keeps all of my cables together and then i make a note of which switch port is connected to which server.
    just making some minor adjustments to your system....

roll of velcro
    Lol, very state of the art and quite inexpensive

I have been anti-wireless for years. But I am getting to the point, along with the technology to seriously look into it. I mean I could run a t1 to a new spot, install a 52g wirless transciever and be done with it. Assuming of course you have secured it wiht digital certificates etc...

I really am starting to believe it's a viable and secure alternative. Granted to can't leave it alone and have to watch how you set things up. But if the risk or someone misconficuring something is minimal.... go for it.

On the other hand if you do have some time, cleaning up the cables isn't that bad. Heck pay someone else if you don't want to do it.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

Using PEAP/MSCHAPv2 along with standard 128WEP you can achieve a fairly good level of security. Its MUCH better since windows now supports PEAP as of SP1 for XP and SP4 for W2k since you dont need 3rd party workarounds for better security.

-Maestr0
    \"If computers are to become smart enough to design their own successors, initiating a process that will lead to God-like omniscience after a number of ever swifter passages from one generation of computers to the next, someone is going to have to write the software that gets the process going, and humans have given absolutely no evidence of being able to write such software.\" -Jaron Lanier

I've been testing out a new wireless box from netgear that actually uses IPSEC VPN tunnels for the wireless client connections. It works with any 802.11b wireless card, although I haven't figured out if it can be done without installing the (free) Safenet basic client. Because of that, I haven't tried it with my laptop yet (don't want to install stuff that screws with my networking like that) but I set it up for an accountant so he could use XP's offline files with his laptop. Seems to work like a dream, and I think it's pretty secure...Anyone else know anything about it?

I guess you may not be looking for so much security, though, since the data going to and from the web server is probably meant to be seen by others.

Thanks for the info everyone. I think I might start messing around with it. Maybe install a wireless card in one of my main web servers. If everything is running up to par on that server, I'll start switching the others to wireless.

I'm not worried too much about security. It seems that as long as you configure the wireless settings with a password and high encryption everything should be fine.

So anyone have suggestions on what wireless hardware to go with?
    An Ounce of Prevention is Worth a Pound of Cure...

not sure how it works, but D-Link does have a nice little feature that permits speeds of 22mbps with 802.11b.

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    D-Link basically runs 2 802.11b networks side by side so it doubles the speed (supposedly).

For the actual hosting, I wouldn't even consider running wireless. Its out of the question. Now for other applications (like maybe the accounting department or something) you could do wireless as long as you secure it properly. Servers NEVER go wireless, the other machines you can if you maintain security and are not running high bandwidth things (like large databases) over the network.
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman

would not run wireless on servers but for clients it would be great..
    Reliability would be a issue at first, like any major network change
    good luck
    why?

WLAN although have been around for a fews now is still an its infant stage.
    If you company is only using web browsing, then WLAN is the way to go.

However if you company is using a lot of streaming video(multicast), ORACLE, SAP traffic, then you would probably not use Wireless. Remember, no matter what the 802.11xx protocol you are using, you are confined to a hub environment. CSMA/CD will be running as you are only running on one channel. Unlike on a wired, if you are using a switch, you have dedicated speed for yourself.