Video\RAM incompatability
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Video\RAM incompatability

Video\RAM incompatability

I'm building a computer for my friend. This is it here.

Motherboard
    A7N8X nFORCE2-S, AGP8x, A133, DUAL-DDR400, AUDIO5.1, LAN, USB2.0 $164.22

CPU
    XP2500+ s462/128K+512K .13 (333FSB; 1.833GHz) 32BIT $154.70

CPU FAN
    VOLCANO-7; FOR INTEL s370 & AMD s462, W/TEMP SENSOR $29.88

VIDEO CARD
    GForce4 FX5600 128MB DDR DV-i TV-o AGP8x $214.20

RAM
    512MB DDR-PC3200: 400MHz SAMSUNG $155.35

CASE
    300W SH ATX POWER FOR P4 $41.83

MOUSE/KEYBOARD
    LOGITECH INTERNET KB AND OPTICAL MOUSE (RETAIL) $40.63

MONITOR
    AS-95F 19" 0.25mm FLAT-CRT 1600x1280 $327.25

DVD/CDRW
    TOSHIBA 3 IN 1 DVD 12x IDE, CD-R/RW 32x10, CD-ROM 40x $148.75

HARD DRIVE
    WD400JB: 40.0GB 7200rpm, ATA100, 9ms, Caviar, 8M $113.05

FLOPPY DRIVE
    1.44 FD $15.54

CD ROM
    52x EIDI LG / SONY $29.88

SPEAKERS
    621CN 2.1 STEREO SPEAKERS W/ SUBWOOFER 3PCS $209.13

When it boots it does a memory check. But it freezes there. It cant go through checking the ram. So i checked the ram in anohter computer and it booted fine. Next i replaced the video card with a basic PCI P.O.S. and it booted fine. I even replaced the video card with another Geforce4 fx5600 the exact same video card but i had one of my own and it didnt boot with that either. So im speculating that the samsung ram doesnt go with the geforce card. Anyone concur?
    No place like 127.0.0.1

Seems to be the only reason. Check with the manufacturs site to check up on this though.
    [gloworange]And then it happened... a door opened to a world... rushing through the phone line like heroin through an addict\'s veins, an electronic pulse is sent out, a refuge from the day-to-day incompetencies is sought... a board is found. \"This is it... this is where I belong...\" I know everyone here... even if I\'ve never met them, never talked to them, may never hear from them again... I know you all...[/gloworange]

A possibility might be that your ram is ECC, but your motherboard uses Non-ecc only.

could you post the link to where you got your ram?

It probably wouldn't hurt to get some ramn from another computer and put that in there.
    =

The Iceman Cometh
    It may also be that the AGP card wasn't seated properly. That's a common problem on many new motherboards. Make sure the card is properly seated. I had a similar problem a few years ago... a PCI card worked great, but the AGP card didn't work. I reinserted the card, bearing down to make sure it was in, and that was it. Booted fine from then on.

AJ

sound like a ram issue but you already know that I,m leaning toward the video cards ram be incompatible with the mb
    [Shadow] have you ever noticed work is like a tree full of monkeys you look down and all you see is monkeys below you then you look up and all you see is a bunch of *******s above[/shadow]

Thanks for the help guys. Looks like I'll be emailing some manufacturers today. Think they'll tell me that their product isn't compatible with other hardware? Or will they bull **** me and I'll never find out what the problem is?
    No place like 127.0.0.1

The most likely cause of this, in my opinion, is the power supply. 300W isn't even enough for 2 hard disks, an XP1800, and a Ti4200 graphics card running on an nforce motherboard with 2 256MB PC266 sticks. The power supply you've got free with that case is going to suck, big-time. Seeing as all the components are actually working, and lower-powered components stop this problem, this is a very likely cause of your issues. If you do get a new PSU, make sure it's at least 400W, and not some cheapie thing that weighs next to nothing and comes free with a case. A quality PSU is significantly heavier than a crappy, cheap one that gets bundled with a case for free.

Another possibility is the motherboard needs its BIOS updating. Lots of motherboards have compatibility issues with the 5900, yours could be one of them. I would try a BIOS update first though, because updating the BIOS costs nothing, a decent PSU costs a fair bit.

The 300w power supply should be enough for his system berryllium9.
    I've run a 300w PS before on a Asus m/b P4 2.6 512mb ram, and same video card, two HD's, and two Cd roms.
    =

Hi,

I would be inclined to try some different RAM to see if it works.................if it does, then I guess that sort of confirms the memory incompatibility theory.

However I did notice that the power supply is designated as "P4". But his processor is an Athlon XP.

Not sure I would want to run an Athlon in a case that isn't approved for it? I seem to recall the P4 requires some sort of special 12v cable? Also, that would mean that the case isn't designed for the MoBo either?

I still think that the power supply could be involved, as I would not like to build anything with less than 350w these days.

I am probably barking up the wrong tree

Cheers

I'll try a new stick of ram and check back with you guys. thx.

Oh btw, the amd mobo fit perfect in the p4 designed case.
    No place like 127.0.0.1