Playstation Modem/Hard Disk
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Playstation Modem/Hard Disk

Playstation Modem/Hard Disk

i was toying with my Modem for the PS2(with has so far been worthless) and noticed it had an availible port for a hard disk. I've been looking arround and noticed that Sony plans to release an HD in 2004, but i was wondering if anyone has done any playing with this at home with a normal hard disk...

I thought they already had one available. As i dont have a ps2 (which is a shame) i wouldnt know. would be interesting to hear if anyone has used a normal hdd for it.

PeacE
    -BoB
    #!/usr/local/bin/perl -s-- -export-a-crypto-system-sig -RSA-in-3-lines-PERL
    ($k,$n)=@ARGV;$m=unpack(H.$w,$m.\"\\0\"x$w),$_=`echo \"16do$w 2+4Oi0$d*-^1[d2%
    Sa2/d0<X+d*La1=z\\U$n%0]SX$k\"[$m*]\\EszlXx++p|dc`,s/^.|\\W//g,print pack(\'H*\'
    ,$_)while read(STDIN,$m,($w=2*$d-1+length($n||die\"$0 [-d] k n\\n\")&~1)/2)

1) Get XBox and mod it

2) Welcome to AO!

It\'s 106 miles to Chicago, we\'ve got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it\'s dark and we\'re wearing sunglasses.

Hit it!

Banned
    already exists in 40GB form:

http://www.us.playstation.com/hardwa...SCPH-97047.asp

catch

Im not to sure, I know that BSD has been running on the PS2 for sometime now, you could try searching for something like "ps2 linux bsd" or sumit,

I would have thought if a linux distro has been released for the PS2 that it would have HD support if theres a port for them

Depends very much whether its IDE compatible connector, of if they have swapped them pinout around to make you have to buy the dedicated PS2 dirve,

I would have thought it would have been reverse engineered by now

The xbox is cool and you should get bunni's book, great read even if you dont have an xbox (like me :-))

What ever you dont plug the Xbox in to the network cos it phones home and updates itself to remove the bug that enabled people to run linux on it,

i2c

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeet.

And Ganre it is possible to use a ordinary computer hard disk, you just gotta fiddle with both the playstation and the hard disk.

If you know someone in the electronics area, or maybe an electrical engineer, then you should be able to get this done.

Any how cheers
    ]

I Tried....

The port connection is a proprietry sony thing.
    Also they're using something called magic gate encryption on the harddrive and memory cards.

It isnt possible..... If it is it will be ridiculously difficult.

Cheers
    V$D$
    I remember when Nihil was ickle. Does that mean I'm old?

proprietry
    now thats the word i was trying to think of when i wrote my reply, stupid muddled up brain of mine,

magic gate encryption, never heard of that one. gonna do some research and find otut about it cos encryption methods fascinate me

cheers

i2c

Developer Extraordinar
    Im not to sure, I know that BSD has been running on the PS2 for sometime now, you could try searching for something like "ps2 linux bsd" or sumit,

I would have thought if a linux distro has been released for the PS2 that it would have HD support if theres a port for them
    There is a PS2 Linux Distrobution, which leads me to believe Sony released a hard drive, as catch said. And yes, there is a NetBSD port to the PS2, but I believe you need the PS2 Linux kit first for the hard drive, and keyboard and everything.

Playstation 2 Linux kit/distrobution
    NetBSd port (requires the PS2 Linux kit
    I'm sure there are other ports of OS' avaliable too.
    Come to UnError.com

Banned
    Did any of you even look at the link I posted?

Linux disc, hard drvie, keyboard, mouse, required cables, NIC, everything.
    catch