Obtaining access to computer

Thread: Obtaining access to computer

Obtaining access to computer

I recently obtained some computers with NT 4 installed and configured for a lan. While trying to access the computer, I got blocked at the log in process (i.e. user name and password). The message I received read "...can't find the domain..." Tried Guest, User, Administrator, etc. user names and various passwords given to me by the ex-owner of the computers to no avail.

Tried recovery disks in hopes of resetting the network configurations on the computers but the same message came out after the successful reinstallation, effectively preventing me from changing the lan permissions on the computers.

Could not even find a way to get to the command prompt or booting the computer in safe mode. Going through the CMOS options provided no help; nor did disabling the NIC provide any help.

Short of accessing the computer with DOS 3.1 (hehehe) and trying FDISK, can anyone think of another way I can access the computers in order to save the already installed programs?
    Share on Google+

Re: Obtaining access to computer

Originally posted here by jjv
    Could not even find a way to get to the command prompt or booting the computer in safe mode.
    Because NT has neither.

These boxes are configured to be on some long-lost domain - which presumably you have no DC for.

So what you will want to do is google for the "Offline NT password recovery tool", get that, boot it from floppy and reset the local administrator password.

Then log in as the local administrator (not into the nonexistent domani) and remove them from the dead domain.

But unless they're very low spec, I recommend installing Windows 2000 as it's much better (in particular, security updates are still available).

Of course if you can't afford licences for windows 2000, you should look into how the NT licences are set up, it may be that the licences are not with the boxes, in which case you want to obtain some before you get audited

Slarty
    Share on Google+

Quick thought ... as I haven't used NT in a while ....

Doesn't NT offer the option when you are logging in to "Log on to workstation only". Check under the tabs of the log-in screen. If so, you should be able to log in using the Administrator password without the need for the network domain to be around.

Cheers,

BrainStop
    "To estimate the time it takes to do a task, estimate the time you think it should take, multiply by two, and change the unit of measure to the next highest unit. Thus we allocate two days for a one-hour task." -- Westheimer's Rule
    Share on Google+

Why do you wanted to login to this computer? is there some good information on it??
    Share on Google+

sirknight115,

Might I suggest that you delete your post, as you will only get attacked on account of it?

If the date at the top is flashing, it means that it is old, and probably past its sell by date

The answer to your question, on the other hand, is that you can frequently get very cheap ex-corporate equipment, however, if it has been part of a network, it will frequently be looking for that network when you try to boot it up?

The answer is to format the HDD and install your own (LICENCED!) OS?

They cannot sell you their corporate MS licences............trust me

Cheers
    Share on Google+

I just wondering why did he wanted to get in it? I am new and didn't mean to cause any trouble! Sorry!
    Share on Google+

Hi,

You did not cause "any trouble" it is just that some people take exception to responses to "old" posts..............if you have a question it is probably better to start a new thread?

As for second hand equipment...............well there are those who sell it with legitimate software, but there are many more who will not..........If it (the software) was paid for, you should get the manuals and CD, or it is an OEM installation from a recognised dealer in second user/refurbished stuff?

After all Windows + MS office pro is a $500 value?.................think about it................

There are organisations that dispose of systems to dealers, and do not clean them properly, so you will get an OS and all sorts of stuff............it is NOT licensed to you, so don't try

Just a few thoughts
    Share on Google+

An idea to access the data would be to just take out the HDD and put it at another box,the data should be easy to be read by any OS if its formatted as FAT,if it is NTFS good luck finding a 2000 or XP in case your Nt still refuses to work properly....
    Deus X is watching.
    Share on Google+

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    deus_x_ :
    The flashing date shows that the thread is out of date ..............
    Please take care when you post again.

And welcome to AO ..............
    55 - I'm fiftyfeckinfive and STILL no wiser,
    OLDER yes
    Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone
    Share on Google+