Thread: Microsoft Window Server

Banned

Microsoft Window Server

Is there any requirement of adding any third party firewall or antivirus.

Banned
    In modern heterogeneous networks, a single virus can spread very quickly because it is virtually impossible to isolate an infection of the newly detected network immediately. Corporate users often held in different archives of files, the exposure of all nodes in the network at risk, shared workstations and file storage.

Is there any requirement of adding any third party firewall or antivirus.
    That would depend on your environment. If it is corporate or institutional it is common practice to deploy a third party hardware security solution.

OK it isn't "hardware" in the strictest sense, as it uses software but it is known as such because it runs on its own dedicated platform(s)

This leads us to another consideration?

For some years now the conventional software security solutions have been pretty useless, mainly because they are reactive rather than proactive.

For most corporations and institutions the purpose of third party security software is mainly to cover the asses of the CIO and administrators

Only african to own a PC! Cider's Avatar
    Not really a requirement but if you are going to implement it, be sure to check out

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822158

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...icles/953.aspx

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/309422

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2576031

Just go checkout technet for "recommended" things to do with AV but as others said, your question is so broad, try and be more specific or give specifics regarding the network
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Im guessing donald answered joshuas question?

Although I'm confused.... Are (As Nihil suggested in a previous thread) these 'automated helpdesk' bots going to start a thread and end it without any human intervention???

This intrigues me. Bots needing help and getting help by other bots. Man.. THATS AWESOME!

(Donald is a bot, right?)
    I believe in making the world safe for our children, but not our children’s children, because I don’t think children should be having sex. -- Jack Handey

Hi mungyun,

You are quite correct, donaldsmith is a bot. I am afraid I must take the blame for him still being around, as I managed to persuade my Admins and fellow Mods to let him live out of curiosity.

He lives in Pakistan, and I suspect is a college IT project of some sort.

They are becoming more common, as I shot another one earlier today..........one is enough for any forum?

This intrigues me. Bots needing help and getting help by other bots. Man.. THATS AWESOME!
    Actually it is just automating a well known form of spam: leading question from the OP, and the shill comes up with the an$wer???

You could run sock accounts that way as well.

Now Joshua was the one I shot earlier........dozens of accounts on all sorts of sites (favouring automobiles) and banned from a few so far. His IP address is India, so he wouldn't be politically or religiously affiliated to Donald...............and I do know where Folsom is, even if he only heard of it from a Johnny Cash record

I am beginning to suspect that there is an industry in creating valid accounts on forums then selling them to spammers? You need a number of posts to be allowed to post a URL on most sites, which is why we get these spammy submissions, to make the account valuable.

Donald, on the other hand does not seem to be aiming at a post count.

Good here isn't it?

Awww cute, we have a pet!

It's certainly fine with me to keep him around as I am rather curious as well. I mean, i've seen plenty of spam bots everywhere but its rare that i see one with such passion for sharing knowledge of technology and computers

I've never really cared about them so I never really thought much about the future of spamming and mining data.
    I believe in making the world safe for our children, but not our children’s children, because I don’t think children should be having sex. -- Jack Handey

In my view this is one helluva project the guys have taken on-board.

At the moment Donald only seems to respond once in a thread, and does not seem to take into account the various other suggestions and comments that have been offered?

It looks like an attempt to develop a support system somewhere between the rather lame Microsoft "troubleshooter" of XP days, and the standard flowchart chasing stuff offered by level one human support, where you can force the issue up to l2/l3?

If it is to progress, the developers will have to handle the "follow-on-fire" that troubleshooting involves.

We are not a terribly good testbed as it happens because we have multiple posters to a thread rather than a one-on-one that you would get in a normal troubleshooting situation?

That makes it very difficult to determine which subsequent posts to take into account.

And that is made worse by people who post questions and then never respond to the thread again!!!

OK you lot, and listen up! Just because you got your answer doesn't mean you are entitled to just slither back under your rock...........have the manners to give feedback please! That will help others with the same problem in the future.