Networking linux and Windows

Thread: Networking linux and Windows

Networking linux and Windows

I was wondering if anyone here had some good links which pertain to setting up a microsoft windows network with linux computer viewable and sharable through network neihborhood. I do know about samba but i have had trouble in the past getting the MS computers to recognize the linux workstations. And most of the time when i do get them to recognize each other and show viewable in network places i am unable to access the shares i have set up through the samba configuration file. I know all the computers can reach each other because as of now i network with ssh.(use to transfer files and what not) But i would like to know how to properly configure samba and the linux system it runs on to share. Also if anyone has a suggestion on a good front end network browser and configuration tool for samba it would be greatly appreciated. thanks
    Ben Franklin said it best. \"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.\"

Samba is definately the way to go. It sounds like instead of another solution, you'll want to do some more research on configuring the smb.conf file. I had the same troubles you had at first but when I finally got it right it worked out great. I would have posted my smb.conf file but I recently rebuilt my linux box and have'nt reconfigured samba yet. I know you've heard it here a hundred times but search google for "configuring smb.conf". I haven't used it but I here SWAT is a good way to configure samba too. I'm usually hesitant about using gui based config tools in linux.
    -NeuTron

Samba will definately help you in networking the windows and Linux system. And there is a software called Lin Neighborhood which will give you a gui like the Network Neighborhood in windows system. And also you can join the Samba mailing list. There you can find lot of information.

Why bother with any other software for graphical browsing. Nautilus works fine, just type smb:// as the path.

EaseZE: When you have samba configured and running, with all the shares and printers you need... make sure you set the following.

set hosts that are allowed to access the service in the smb.conf file.
    make sure that your tcp wrappers are set correctly to allow smb communication between your client and server.
    make sure you have a *nix user id and password setup for each user
    make sure you have a smb user id and password setup for each user.

to add a smb user accoutn...

#smbuser -a username

will prompt you to create password.

I have something similar setup at home, so if you have trouble... send me a pm or if you want, I can send you a sample smb.conf file.

Check out http://www.joejaworski.com/linux/server1.htm

http://tldp.org/HOWTO/SMB-HOWTO.html

hey thanks for all the replies. The sites have great info and i'm sure ill have this up and running soon.
    Ben Franklin said it best. \"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.\"

iam a new member of antionline.com.
    can u give some article or news about security hole on Linux red hat 9.0?
    thanx before...

iam a new member of antionline.com.
    can u give some article or news about security hole on Linux red hat 9.0?
    thanx before...
    first RTFM

good geek news such as slashdot, the register.. www.linux.org not to forget www.redhat.com even some AV companies list current vulnerabilities.. ie Symantec there are more..

or if your intention is not for self defence Start here but it will help also if your intentions are self defence..

Cheers
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr