win 98 fatal exception

Thread: win 98 fatal exception

win 98 fatal exception

this comes up on a friends puter, what does it mean

a fatal exception has occurred at
    0167;b779dd777
    the only way to fix it is to flush it all away-tool

BIOS Bomber
    Heh, Are you honestly shocked it is having errors? It looks to be in hex. I cannot remember where exactly but there is a website that shows exactly what these damned errors mean in real terms. Try a quick google search and see if you can find it.

A search like "Windows error messages" or something like that should work well. Sorry I cant remember the site right off hand.
    "When in doubt, use Brute Force."

Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

Hi,

1. What sort of machine (processor/RAM)
    2. When does this happen
    3. What programs are being run
    4. How often does it happen?

I means that your friends machine has crashed irretrievably. Try answering my questions above.................unless you are really lucky those hex error messages are pretty meaningless on their own. It just means " i was trying to do something, it didn't work, and now my brane urts" You need to look at what is going on when they happen, do you get the same message and all that.

Cheers

it won't boot but will it take a reinstall, that was all the info i was given bt i was wondering if the systen would handle it i would just put in win 2000 but does the error mean it won't take a clean install??

Hi,

How far into boot up does it get before you get the blue screen?

Will it give you a clean boot into safe mode? You say that it will "accept a reinstall" so I am guessing that you booted from a floppy, or the CD?

How long has this been happening..................could be virus damage, corrupt driver, anything?

You did not say what the machine is, or its specifications. My gut feel is that if it will run 98, it will probably run 2000................

Best way to do this would be to get a WIN98 boot disk, and boot from that. Format the HDD then install 2000 on the reformatted drive. That would be my preferred way, rather than trying to do it all in the Win2000 installation process. I agree with your caution on that one

I would prefer it if you confirmed the machine specs to me first though. Like yourself I don't believe all that M$ tell us, and sometimes prefer a personal experience viewpoint

Cheers

i don't know the specs i never rebooted it but the guy says it won't boot into safe mode---i never installed an a damaged machine, can't i just format off the 2k start up??? or does the exception prevent that?? I know I am light on info but i don't want to go over there for nothing as this is a favor for a friend of a friend, but a good friend

Hi jxrry59,

I am afraid that we are both in a catch 22 situation here? as we do not have all the info. OK let's figure out a game plan.

He has WIN98, so he should have:

1. A win 98 CD
    2. A win 98 Boot/recovery/installation disk

If his machine will not boot into safe mode, but will accept a re-install, he MUST have got it to fire up from either the Win98 boot disk, or CD....otherwise he would not know that?

When a machine will not boot into safe mode my usual reaction is to reformat and re-install. Our problem here is that we do not know WHY it won't boot WIN98 anymore? and we do not know if it will support an upgraded version of Windows.

Might I run this gameplan past you?

PLAN "A"

1. Go there and check the specs of the machine, and see if it meets the Minimum requirements suggested by Microsoft.
    2. Boot from his Win98 floppy, and format the disk
    3. If the machine is up to spec. install Win2k
    4. If the machine is not up to spec. install Win98
    I believe that this is more likely to work than trying to install directly into unknown territory.

PLAN "B"

This means that you were not able to format the disk. That means that you must have a serious hardware problem.

Run scandisk from the floppy, with a full surface scan of the hard drive and try again.

If none of that works, you had better get back to me with the details of the equipment, and what happened. Hopefully you will have had some more meaningful error messages. I am beginning to think that his hard drive might be dead.

Good Luck!