Thread: Changing Drive Letter

Banned

Changing Drive Letter

I recently had to reinstall xp because i accidently deleted a boot program i had. I was getting interested in computers at that time and rushed through the formatting and partitioning and accidently partitioned my Hd as F: instead of C:. I was wondering if it is possible to change F: back to C:.
    I cant install linux because my dad is very ignorant when it comes to computers and thinks that it is an unstable OS.

------------------------How to Assign a Drive Letter
    To assign a drive letter to a drive, partition, or volume:
    Log on as Administrator or as a member of the Administrators group.
    Click Start, click Control Panel, and then click Performance and Maintenance.

NOTE: If you do not see Performance and Maintenance, go to step 3. Performance and Maintenance is displayed in Control Panel only if you use Category view. If you use Classic view, Performance and Maintenance does not appear.
    Click Administrative Tools, double-click Computer Management, and then in the left pane, click Disk Management.
    Right-click the drive, partition, logical drive, or volume for which you want to assign a drive letter, and then click Change Drive Letter and Paths.
    Click Add.
    Click Assign the following drive letter (if it is not already selected), either accept the default drive letter or click the drive letter that you want to use, and then click OK.
    The drive letter is assigned to the drive, partition, or volume that you specified, and is displayed in the appropriate drive, partition, or volume in the Disk Management tool.

------------------------How to Change a Drive Letter
    To change an existing drive letter on a drive, partition, or volume:
    Click Administrative Tools, double-click Computer Management, and then in the left pane, click Disk Management.
    Right-click the drive, partition, logical drive, or volume for which you want to assign a drive letter, and then click Change Drive Letter and Paths.
    Click Change.
    Click Assign the following drive letter (if it is not already selected), click the drive letter that you want to use, and then click OK.
    Click Yes when you are prompted to confirm the drive letter change.
    The drive letter of the drive, partition, or volume that you specified is changed, and the new drive letter is displayed in the appropriate drive, partition, or volume in the Disk Management tool.

------------------------How to Remove a Drive Letter
    To remove an existing drive letter on a drive, partition, or volume:
    Click Remove.
    Click Yes when you are prompted to confirm the removal.
    The drive letter is removed from the drive, partition, or volume that you specified.

Source (http://support.microsoft.com/default...NoWebContent=1)
    AntiOnline Quick Forum Version 2b Click Here

Banned
    Doesnt work:
    "Window cannot modify the drive letter of your system volume or boot volume."

Click No when you receive the error message. Quit all programs that are using the files on the volume, and then change the drive letter (right-click the volume, click Change Drive Letter and Paths, and then click Change).
    Click Yes to proceed with the drive letter change.

If that doesn't work, boot in safe mode and try it
    AntiOnline Quick Forum Version 2b Click Here

Banned
    k thanx

If that doesn't work, search for a program called "Letter Assigner", or LetAss32.exe. Save a copy of your registry, then once you make the change, compare the registries to see what changed. I used to know of a program that would take a "snapshot" of your registry, but the name escapes me at the moment.

Groovicus