Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: irq_not_less_or_equal eoors randomly occuring

irq_not_less_or_equal eoors randomly occuring

hi,
    my windows xp pro box has started to give me those irq_not_lessor_equal errors a lot lately, i recently put rounded cables in and they didnt agree with my ATA 133 controller card, so i removed one and the problem went away, but now its back, but not as often as it was, the logs dont show any errors like they previously did (delayed write failed, paging operation errors etc)

the box in question is an AMD 2100, 512 meg RAM, 4 hard drives (2 80 gigs a 20 and a 40 gig) and a GF4 ti4200 grafix card

ive run memtest86, checked the cables, the CPU doesnt run hot at all, im not really sure what the error means as ive searched around and cant find a simple explanation for it, the rounded cable that goes to the onboard controller is ok tho, the connector on the ATA card worked fine with a different cable on it too which is kinda weird, is there any free software that i can get that might help me diagnnose the problem, since nothing shows up in the system logs for it

the errors i was getting when i was using the other cable were a paging error on /device/HArdDisk0/D and a delayed write failed to drive E, drive D and E were the ones on the rounded cable going to the controller card, so im not really sure what is going on...

That's odd. IRQ for Primary IDE is 14 and for Secondary is 15. (never changes)
    If it was me...I would remove all except the primary IDE drive (ensure it is at the end of the cable) and see if the error stops. Then add drives (checking to make sure they are slaves) and the pins on the primary are set correctly. Some drives say 'Master' while others say 'Master & Slave'.

Good luck

My first suspect would be faulty RAM, but as you've run memtest86 ... and it showed no errors, the RAM is probably ok.

Perhaps one of your HDs is on the way out?

I've found that HDs sometimes don't fail "instantly" but become gradually worse over time before letting go completely.

A common symptom is for the HD to shut down while being used. If you have the case open you can usually hear this (assuming there aren't too many fans). A power cycle usually coaxes it back into life (at least temporarily).

Quite why this would result in BSODs I don't know (usually just makes the system hang waiting for the failed HD to recover), but maybe there is some data corruption (which should theoretically never happen)

I'd take extra care of your backups if I were you - Make backups daily and test the media.

irql_not_less_or_equal means there is a problem with devices and/or devicedrivers using a shared irq,specially pci devices often cause it.
    to fix the problem you should find out wich devices share irqs,
    uninstall the soft and hardware,boot the system clean,and go on to reinstall the hard&software step by step.
    maybe it is recommended to change the slots when pci.

normally the error gives more information like the devicedriver where the problem occurs.
    did it?
    Industry Kills Music.

stanger,
    funny you might say that, when i changed the cables around i also changed a couple of my PCI boards around too, it doesnt say anything about thwat driver or anything that caused it, just the irq blah blah error and nothing else, it counts to 100% with a dump of physical ram to disk, if i let this dump the ram to disk is it posible i could find out where it dumps it to and examine that and possibly come up with an answer from that?

Hey i can relate leachy...i get that blue screen of death error also. It happens quite a bit when i'm runnin remote admin from my other room...i'll notice the computer on the other end locks up and i come in and its on that irq not less than or equal junk...i was gonna start figurin out what it could be but then it just kinda went away...i'm waitin for it to happen again. My specs r...
    pent. 4 3.0ghz
    ATI Radeon 9800
    256 ram
    1 nic...1 modem....wireless mouse and reg. keyboard

Well hope u find out the problem is...if u find anything else lemme know...also u might wanna check microsofts knowledge base...they have alot of refrence to these errors...next time it happens take down the error numbers and punch them in on the search of microsofts knowledge base and u should find something. If u find anything or somethin to fix it lemme know.

i really do not know what to do with that memory dump...

i had same kind of trouble by changing the pci slot of my ethernetcard
    only when i got disconnected by my isp the pc crashed.
    when i disconnected everything was fine.

you may try to reset your BIOS to something called "default" or "best settings".
    (this should force the [....eemz..] NMI or however it is called to get updated.)

[edit] @deftones12 does it crash when you send a bad password ?

ok an update for all of you, ive rid myself of the bsod's by doing a reinstall of windoze and any programs that were causing a bsod, now instead of bsod the whole thing just freezes and does nothing at all, no system log, nothing, so i dont even know what the problem is anymore

ive also changed the cd drives to run in PIO mode b/c they are using a rounded cable and i havn't had a problem with them

honestly its got me completely stuffed for any ideas of what it could be, ive reinstalled drivers and checked BIOS settings all to no avail....
    Just wait till i get my slappin gloves on.....

AO French Antique News Whore
    I had a friend who had the same problem under Windows 98, Windows 2000, Windows XP Pro. The error problem was the same in Windows XP. Is problem was is memory. He was 2 module of ram, a 256 and 128. He remove is 128 and no more problem... Very stable now... So I HIGHLY suggest removing some ram bcuz you probably a detect ram module.
    -Simon \"SDK\"

I had that problem with a few systems, traced it back to the ram, seemed the ram wasnt reading the right value, in other words I was sitting with a 128Mb stick that had magicaly reduced itself to 18Mb, replacing it fixed the problem.

Get hold of Memtest and run it for a while, it might be able to tell you if it's the ram, if it is...take it back and get a new stick.
    With all the subtlety of an artillery barrage / Follow blindly, for the true path is sketchy at best. .:Bring OS X to x86!:.
    Og ingen kan minnast dei linne drag i dronningas andlet den fagre dag Då landet her kvilte i heilag fred og alle hadde kjærleik å elske med.