Thread: Install Win2K problems

Angry Install Win2K problems

Alright, I have been trying to install Windows 2000 Pro on my box with no success. I boot up the install, and then one of a few things will happen. Either it will run into an error coping the files over, or it will finish but not be able to boot up (a file not found issue), or worse yet, it will fail trying to format the partition. I have tried formatting in NTFS and FAT with the installer and get the same results. I have even copied the entire i386 directory to the harddrive and installed from there, still won't work. My machine specs are as follows:

PIII 933MHz Coppermine
    Gigabite 815E Motherboard (or something really close to this model)
    384MB PC133 SDRAM (Micron Original ECC Registered)
    40GB Fujitsu Hard drive
    GeForce 2MX/400 32MB Video
    SoundBlaster Audigy OEM

Before I go any further, this IS A LEGIT COPY. I have even tried a legit copy of XP Home (my friend brought it over as a test) and I get the same results. I'm just a LITTLE ticked, spent a lot of money for Win2k pro and it won't work. I get Linux for FREE and it works better. (It actually installs ) The funny thing is, once it formats the entire partition, at the very end when it finishes it gives me an error saying it failed to do so. I even used Partition Magic to make an NTFS partition and tried to install Win2k on there, still didn't work. Then it would give me file copy errors. (Or it can't find a file during boot-up and fail anyways) I managed to install Win2k Pro on my sisters comp as a test (before I put SuSE on instead) and it worked perfectly. I'm beginning to think that it may be my hard-drive. I searched google for a while and couldn't find anything helpful. I wonder if I can take it back for a refund... LOL, not likely.

I hope this made sense, thanks in advance!

Dave

Can you try a different Cd rom?

Maybe if you have a older one laying around.

If the CD installed on another machine then the only thing I can think of is bad CD-ROM or a cable is loose somewhere.
    =

Well I sense incompatibility. Your motherboard may not be able to support Win2K or it could be another component in there. That's my first guess as to what you are saying is happening. I had that same problem with my old machine. Win98 would install perfectly but it just wouldn't install Win2K. It was a compatibility issue. I would check into that if I were you.

Second it could be a bad memory stick that's causing that. You might want to try each stick on an install and see if that solves the problem.

I hope that helps. PM if you have any questions or just post here.

Guidance...
    - The mind is too beautiful to waste...
    Cutty

Alright, I looked into the compatability issues. My printer, sound card, and Pocket PC were flagged. So, I disconnected them all and ran setup again. After it rebooted and started the preperations, it came up with a blue screen and said:
    Setup has determined that drive C: is corrupted and cannot be repaired. Setup cannot continue. To quit, press F3.

I don't think my drive is corrupt. I've run everything else of it fine, I even installed Linux on the first partition as a test to see, it worked. Heck, I even downloaded the test utility from Fujitsu (hdd manufacturer) and ran a complete test over everything. After many hours, it passed perfectly. No bad sectors or anything. I don't understand what is going on. My hard-drive IS supported by the drivers on the CD. (I checked the compatibility of that first).

Any ideas? Again, thanks in advance.

Dave
    Alcohol & calculus don't mix. Never drink & derive.

Can you try a different Cd rom?

Maybe if you have a older one laying around.

If the CD installed on another machine then the only thing I can think of is bad CD-ROM or a cable is loose somewhere.
    This may or may not pertain to you, but never dismiss this advice. I bought a new motherboard one time and for the life of me I couldn't get the damn operating system on the drive. Turns out we had a half working CD-ROM causing the problems. Each time I went to install the OS I kept getting different errors; took out that CD-ROM, popped a new one in, and voila, success!

You say you managed to install Win2k on your sisters machine, did you use the same CD?

Hi,

I am not a great fan of fujitsu drives........If your CD drive is OK, then I would suspect this to be the culprit. Can you try putting the hard drive into another machine and try loading windows on that...................if you get the same problem then it is the drive........if not, try putting it back into your machine with the OS now loaded:

1. If it works, then I would replace the CD drive (assuming you have cleaned the heads and the CD surface, and it still fails.............amazing what a head cleaning disk can do and I am not being funny I have had some CDs accepted and others failed, and a simple cleaning worked)

2. If it doesn't then it looks like the MoBo doesn't support W2K?

I had a friend with a dead fujitsu HDD. He took his machine to the local PC store and they had it three days.............couldnt get it to work, even with a new drive. Told him the MoBo was dead.

I dug out a new drive (Seagate or Western Digital......can't remember) stuck it into a new machine and loaded his software. Removed the drive and put it into his machine.........it has worked perfectly ever since..............don't ask me why, but it might work for you.

BTW, you may get some "whining" at first when it finds the sound and video cards etc are different, so make sure you have all your driver software to hand.

I don't like fujitsu, they only have a one year warranty over here.

Good Luck