Thread: secure and running smooth

Arrow secure and running smooth

how do you guys n gals keep ur windows xp secure and running smooth?

firewalls?
    AV?
    spyware killers?
    etc

i just like to know what is tried and tested, reading a company's info about their own product just doesnt tell me what i really want to know if u know what i mean.

str34m3r
    Have you noticed the search feature in the upper right hand corner? Try doing a search for anitvirus or firewall, you should find hundreds of matches that answer your exact question.

http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=243892 is a good place to start.

Make sure I stay current with my windows updates and disable all unnecessary services. Firewall, Router, Antivirus, Spyware removers..

Does the trick for me.

Edit:

This ones a beauty too: http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=237662

Firewalls and Anti-Viruses are probley the first line of protection you would want. This keeps out unwanted traffic and viruses. The second thing to do is to update your windows. Make sure you have everything up to date and your AV and Firewall are always running. Good luck!
    [gloworange]And then it happened... a door opened to a world... rushing through the phone line like heroin through an addict\'s veins, an electronic pulse is sent out, a refuge from the day-to-day incompetencies is sought... a board is found. \"This is it... this is where I belong...\" I know everyone here... even if I\'ve never met them, never talked to them, may never hear from them again... I know you all...[/gloworange]

I would also recommend Ad-Aware and Gateway Goback 3.1. They Ad-Aware is on Auto so i don't have to worry about ads and spyware slowing down my computer. Goback allows me to revert my wntire harddrive to a past state in time. You can also recover the files lost in the process of reverting.
    AntiOnline Quick Forum Version 2b Click Here

cheers for pointing me in the right direction

Originally posted here by spools.exe
    I would also recommend Ad-Aware and Gateway Goback 3.1. They Ad-Aware is on Auto so i don't have to worry about ads and spyware slowing down my computer. Goback allows me to revert my wntire harddrive to a past state in time. You can also recover the files lost in the process of reverting.
    Just wanna point out that Gateway does NOT own go back. Go back is made by Roxio, And yes, its a great Product.

Gateway only puts it on the machines they sell, they dont own it though.

http://www.roxio.com/adban/product_r...ck/index.jhtml

This link should help you understand more about this product though. Also, right on that page, you can click on a scan thingy by symantec, and it will scan your computer for voulnerabilities and ****. Enjoy.

Oh yes, i'm quite sorry, my old/first computer had Goback and the program title was called GatewayGoback. I'm so very sorry
    AntiOnline Quick Forum Version 2b Click Here

Yeah most computer manufacturs will add software to thier computer to bring in more buyers and to make the computer easier to use. Hope we helped!
    [gloworange]And then it happened... a door opened to a world... rushing through the phone line like heroin through an addict\'s veins, an electronic pulse is sent out, a refuge from the day-to-day incompetencies is sought... a board is found. \"This is it... this is where I belong...\" I know everyone here... even if I\'ve never met them, never talked to them, may never hear from them again... I know you all...[/gloworange]

Originally posted here by spools.exe
    Oh yes, i'm quite sorry, my old/first computer had Goback and the program title was called GatewayGoback. I'm so very sorry
    No reason to be sorry. I'v seen it called Gateway GoBack on other PCs too. I dont think they should call it that though, unless its a special edition or something like that. It can confuse people. I just know because Iv boughten two editions of it now.