Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Perl or C++?

Perl or C++?

I was wondering if you guys could reccommend what language you think I would benifit from most. I want to learn perl because I heard it was a powerful and useful language. Yet I want to learn C++ because I just read a TCP/IP book and it seemed interresting and I wanted to learn more about it. Most of the stuff I have seen about TCP/IP involves C++ so I figure I should learn that too. Which should I start with? Thanks in advance!
    [gloworange]And then it happened... a door opened to a world... rushing through the phone line like heroin through an addict\'s veins, an electronic pulse is sent out, a refuge from the day-to-day incompetencies is sought... a board is found. \"This is it... this is where I belong...\" I know everyone here... even if I\'ve never met them, never talked to them, may never hear from them again... I know you all...[/gloworange]

Well I would recommend C++ if your interested enough. C++ being one of the hardest languages out there takes alot of time and practice, But if you were gonna do things like make web browseres and servers and things i would recomend perl.

I'm going to learn both this year, (so I haven't learned either yet) but as far as I know, it totally depends on what you want to do. I've heard that if you want to learn multiple languages it's good to start with C++ bc then it's supposedly easier to learn the others, but really once you've learned any of them it becomes easier to learn the others. Somebody (that knows what they're talking about...unlike me ) please list some specific uses for each language....like which is better at what. Thanks

-Keezel

Yes, Uses for the languages would be a big help!
    [gloworange]And then it happened... a door opened to a world... rushing through the phone line like heroin through an addict\'s veins, an electronic pulse is sent out, a refuge from the day-to-day incompetencies is sought... a board is found. \"This is it... this is where I belong...\" I know everyone here... even if I\'ve never met them, never talked to them, may never hear from them again... I know you all...[/gloworange]

I would recomend learning c++ before you learn perl. I know java, and am in the process of taking classes on c++, but I have attended many lectures on perl and have read quite a bit.

From what I can tell, a good knowledge of standard programming tecniques like those learned in c++ will be highly benificial to have before attempting perl. Also, a good background of unix will help out a lot.

Perl FAQ
    im not living, im just killing time.
    Go to KidAdmin.com

You can pretty much do anything you want in either language. Just keep in mind that perl is a scripting (interpreted) language, whereas C++ is a compiled language. If you're looking to write security tools and whatnot, you can use either one. I personally use C and C++. I've seen portscanners, web-vulnerability testers, servers, etc, written in both perl and C++, so it's really a matter of preference more than anything. Besides, either one will get you a job if you're proficient enough.

-noix-

Perl is great for handling strings and doing script work. Handling strings in C++ can be a pain. However, C++ is very powerful and once you learn it the other languages come very easily. Actually most of the syntax in perl is similar to C++, even if you can decide to format your code differently in perl.

Again, it all depends on what you want to do and in what direction you are heading. For general purpose both are great. For scripts go with perl. For more power uses go with C++.

Guidance...
    - The mind is too beautiful to waste...
    Cutty

for me i'll say take the c++ first tehn go to more complicated one there a lot to learn in in c++ program, there a lot of tutorials aboit c++ and perl in the net

try to thinks which script do you prefer the most and you will used the most perl is good but i think c++ is more powerful than perl they they have somthin in common ive read some perl script but only those simple math program and other, other script emerge from c++ script so better take the C++ first than the other scripts

Someone said that learning C++ would help you out in learning other languages and I totally agree with that. Ive been dealing with C++ for two years know, and Ive learned quite a bit about java and im also starting with perl, this last two I believe have been easier to learn due to my previous knowledge of C++. Anyways C++ is still my favorite, maybe because its the one I use most, or although I cant make a judgement right now, because its the better one of the three.
    The point is I recommend learning C++ first, if it helped me It might as well help you
    I Speak in frequencies even dogs have trouble hearing

java, php, perl and c++ have a lot of stuff similar to C ( dare I say stuff that originated in C )

so why not go for C first...

A lot of (mostly young) people say why first learn C and not just start with C++...
    Well somewhere allong the road you will see (proppably) that starting with C you could have avoided a lot of stupid mistakes you made with your C++ !!
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !