Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: weird email-need help

Hi guys,

Hey introgrammer...who deals for you?...I think that we might be able to do some business?

Showtime.....................how are you getting on with Ray Bradbury?........also, you must try Fred Hoyle "The Cloud"....................ok English Lit. bit set to "off"

Now to the real question?.....is it on your machine our your ISP/E-mail server?

Do you download messages, or just do it online?

You must get your AV updated, get SpyBot Search & Destroy. SwatIT, AdAware(as already suggested) update and run them.....................this should clear your machine?

Please keep me informed, I am interested in this one

Cheers

Johnno

I have been getting quite a few of these myself; however, I do not believe it to be anything serious.

Worms like Sobig send out emails with spoofed headers/sources (obtained from the infected computers address book) and then tries to send the email to someone else in the address book with the spoofed source. The third party that was in the address book that was used as the spoofed source, had no involvement with the message whatsoever.

What you are seeing is the automated response from the mail server at the destination of the email from the infected machine. Since the infected machine used a spoofed header/source address (of your box/account), the mailer sends the YOU the message saying that the mail couldn't be delivered. In more civil days on the internet, this was a courtesy to let you know there was some kind of an issue to look into; however, given the proliferation of spoofed mails from spammers and worms, they are rapidly becoming a nuisance.

So short of the story, you probably aren't infected and can safely ignore the messages.

/nebulus
    There is only one constant, one universal, it is the only real truth: causality. Action. Reaction. Cause and effect...There is no escape from it, we are forever slaves to it. Our only hope, our only peace is to understand it, to understand the 'why'. 'Why' is what separates us from them, you from me. 'Why' is the only real social power, without it you are powerless.

(Merovingian - Matrix Reloaded)

hey nihil.... I don;t think I understand your question

"Now to the real question?.....is it on your machine our your ISP/E-mail server? "

I was getting this mail in my yahoo account.....if that helps :-)

I have another question for you guys.......if my comp is infected, what are the chances it affects my web based yahoo account and the addresses in that account.........

Thanks a lot for the replies

Hi Oxygen,

please pardon the bad manners, just a bit of humour relating to other posters.

You answered my question when you said "web-based"...that means you open it on their server. If you are safe and sound, you are OK, the problem will be theirs.

Other mail accounts download to your hard drive before you can open them. If you open one of those and it is a nasty, you are history mate.

Your address book will be on their machine, and as vulnerable as their system is.

Sorry for the confusion

Cheers

I'm not as think as you drunk I am !!

Showtime8000 had the correct answer. That is a virus that is one of the ways it comes in. Check out his link to symantec for a removal tool to test if you have the virus

Am still laughing at the points some people have, and will stick with some old time names here like nebulus200 at least he earned the points. No attachment no virus LOL. Anyway just check out mimail or sobig virus doings and all the false mail headers and such, try google search mimail sobig funny how google works ya actually can find stuff there. Kinda a pointless thread really and a few well post that make me laugh am off to the humor thread now LOL

OOPS YAHOO mail what did you expect for free?
    I believe that one of the characteristics of the human race - possibly the one that is primarily responsible for its course of evolution - is that it has grown by creatively responding to failure.- Glen Seaborg