Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: @Stake

@Steak

Dan Geer, chief technology officer of computer security firm AtStake said in a report:

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
    “…that the dominance of Microsoft software on PCs has made computer networks susceptible to "massive, cascading failures." It also said the complexity of the software has made it particularly vulnerable to virus and other attacks”
    =+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=

He was fired from @Steak that evening and @steak was quick to respond.

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
    AtStake contacted Microsoft Tuesday night to express disappointment in the report and to say it did not reflect AtStake's position.

"Microsoft had absolutely nothing to do with AtStake's internal personnel decision," Sundwall said.

Bruce Schneier, chief technology officer of network security services firm Counterpane Internet Security and a co-author of the report, said the situation illustrates the power Microsoft has to silence critics.
    =+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=

http://www.forbes.com/technology/new...tr1092228.html

http://www.businessweek.com/technolo...es/5082649.htm
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

I'm not really impressed by @stake or it's employees however, admitting thaqt M$hit had nothing to do with this guys firing is like looking up and whistling nonchalantly standing next to an empty cookie jar.

M$ and bill Gates are the antichrist. Fire me for saying that....just try.
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

I will have to agree with you KorpDeath 100%. Where has freedom of speech gone? Am very disappointed at AtStake for doing such a thing.

Dan had all the right to speak his mind and I don't see how that should have affected his job. Just my thought on things.

I will not run test on windows based systems cause the stability needed is not present and hence I would not be able to produce a chip to run windows. The irony of things. Facts are just facts.

Guidance...
    - The mind is too beautiful to waste...
    Cutty

Banned
    Originally posted here by cutty
    I will have to agree with you KorpDeath 100%. Where has freedom of speech gone? Am very disappointed at AtStake for doing such a thing.

Dan had all the right to speak his mind and I don't see how that should have affected his job. Just my thought on things.

I will not run test on windows based systems cause the stability needed is not present and hence I would not be able to produce a chip to run windows. The irony of things. Facts are just facts.

Guidance...
    Freedom of speech? What the hell are you talking about? Since when does that have anything to do with corporate relations or the professional environment?

@Stake is smart in shutting up that rouge idiot. Regardless of your feelings on Microsoft, when is it ever a good idea for a small company to public ally attack another company, unprovoked at that? As an officer for the company, Mr. Geer has the legal ability to speak for the company and it is apparent that he over stepped his bounds in this case. I can't think of any company that wouldn't have done the same thing in the same situation.

Also, your failure to produce a product for the industry leading operating system I think says more about you than about it. No one else seems to have any trouble. Facts are just facts.

The thing I love, is that I'll be branded as an MS lover for this post, which is amusing how people tend to find anything less than: "M$ and bill Gates are the antichrist." as loving Microsoft, and god forbid you actually bring facts and objectivity into the conversation.

If @Stake was so egregious, let Mr. Geer sue, and watch him lose.

catch

Thats bizzare, since when @stake start to kiss microsoft booty. If it was really important to kiss then why not linus torwald. I think linus did a very great job for all the computer users and what microsoft did, invented a operating system which is full of crap and vulnerablity. Hell their so claimed DOS is not even their own invention. What a bunch of ideots are jumping in one microsoft way. @stake is no longer that impressive anymore, they are just too old compare to new generation security experts.

Banned
    "new generation security experts"

hahaahah yeah... people that think monolithic kernels, third generation firewalls, and single level systems with multi-actioned security commands are the apex of security.

This "new generation" is gonna keep CERT real busy.

catch

CERT. Sound like you've been there. Another place for bunch of wannabees gathers everyday and waste their money and time.

Im gonna have to agree with rift, If I were n the position that @stake was i would have fired him to, it is in no way appropriate to publicly attack an ally, espiciall if unprevoced. Even if he did not mean for it to come out as him speaking for the company, thats how it is. Im sure it wasnt microsoft that said fire him or your toast. Its called tact and professionalism, both of which this man seemed to have lacked.
    Everyone is going to die, I am just as good of a reason as any.

http://think-smarter.blogspot.com

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Has anyone read the report yet that Greer got "fired" over?? Is it worth reading?
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Im gonna go find it and read it, just to see what he said,a nd how bad it really was.
    Everyone is going to die, I am just as good of a reason as any.

http://think-smarter.blogspot.com