Thread: Is someone on my Connection?

Is someone on my Connection?

I know something odd is going on with my internet connection. I use a dial up service, and you can hear the modem on the speakers. Ok maybe im just paranoid but other stuff is happening too, I know the sound the modem makes when it is connecting to the net and lately I have been hearing it with odd sounds in it. Tonite I heard a sound like someone pushed a button on the phone. I picked up the phone today and it started ringing like I'd called someone and I got that recorded message saying "if you'd like to make a call....". My phone has a red light that comes on when the line is in use and I have seen it coming on when no one is on the phone and going right back off. I am getting connected at very lower that normal bandwith, sometimes as low as 7.200 when usually it is 47,000, though when it was that low I reconnected and got on at 28k. Now I am connecting at 35k to 38k. Does anyone know what could be going on? I would appreciate any help you could give me. Thanks

Edit: plus I am getting disconnected A LOT

Sounds like line noise. Mayeb your phone company is working on the lines right now. Or you have some sort of electronic device near your phone line. A power cord or transceiver is enough to cause some static in the line and lower your connect speed.
    =

Yea, this isp does post a lot of things on there homepage, saying "reporting incident", but when I call someone it's clear as day. I guess I'm just paranoid???? But It seems like someones on the line.... But how do I explain hearing buttons being pushed? Thanks

When I dial in, my modem sounds like long beeps sometimes, but every modem sounds differents.

What I would do is call them up and tell them you think you have some line noise, and tell them to check you line for you. You don't have to tell them that you hear buttons beng pushed, if you want to you can, but have someone come out there, then while they're there dial in to your ISP and see what they think.
    =

I'll do that, Thanks for the help!

Originally posted here by cheyenne1212
    When I dial in, my modem sounds like long beeps sometimes, but every modem sounds differents.

What I would do is call them up and tell them you think you have some line noise, and tell them to check you line for you. You don't have to tell them that you hear buttons beng pushed, if you want to you can, but have someone come out there, then while they're there dial in to your ISP and see what they think.
    Sound advice. You probably are getting some cross over from anouther line, or perhaps someone at your local phone company has installed a wrong filter somewhere. The only way to solve such a problem is to let the phone company do it. As long as you are not dealing with Verizon, they should be able to cure your problem in short order. If your phone company (or ISP) is Verizon, well I'm sorry.
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown

well I beleive you are right, but I guess I was maybe a little too paranoid, i thought it was someone "listening" to my connection. This ISP does have a lot of problems. Do you know of any program or test site to see if someone is doing something to my connection purposly/maliciously? thanks

If someone was listening to your connection, then you would not be able to hear it. Usually when someone monitors you they will use a packet sniffer to see what you send and recieve rom your compuer. A packet sniffer can not be heard.

But your problem is with your line so theres nothing to worry about. Just call up the phone company and tell them to fix it.
    =

Thanks for your help cheyenne, moxnix, remember there is always the shotgun.... lol, remember that cheyenne? thanks guys

lol.

Glad I could help you.
    =