Compiling on SunOS problems

Thread: Compiling on SunOS problems

Question Compiling on SunOS problems

Hi there,

I know its not a security issue but maybe some of the programmers here can help me.

Im trying to compile BitchX 1c19 on a SunOS machine:
    SPARCstation 2 (4/75)
    CPU Type is sparc
    App Architecture is sun4
    Kernel Architecture is sun4c
    OS Name is SunOS
    OS Version is 4.1.4
    Kernel Version is SunOS Release 4.1.4

and the warning messages were:
    configure: WARNING: net/if.h: present but cannot be compiled
    configure: WARNING: net/if.h: check for missing prerequisite headers?
    configure: WARNING: net/if.h: proceeding with the preprocessor's result
    configure: WARNING: resolv.h: present but cannot be compiled
    configure: WARNING: resolv.h: check for missing prerequisite headers?
    configure: WARNING: resolv.h: proceeding with the preprocessor's result

Of course the make didn't work

I tried to ask around and some told me about missing headers or bad headers for this OS.
    Do you know about any work-around this problem? What other info would you need?
    Thanks in advance!

AO's MMA Fanatic! Computernerd22's Avatar
    Miami, FL
    Have you ever heard the word updating? SunOS 4.1 is very OLD.

Beverwijk Netherlands
    well you touched a part of the problem compu.nerd22..

I think it's the GCC..

I've seen simmilar trouble with too old (and too new) versions of GCC while trying to compile some software..

what version of GCC are you using ( try: gcc --version )

try to update (atleast) gcc..
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

Computernerd22 : I guess the right question would have been: "Has the sysadmin heard of the word updating?" Yes, it's not my machine, old one (so i guess updating the OS would be out of question) and free and might be others like that out there so I don't think its obsolete or futile to build a [BX] for such a machine Thanks for your advice anyway!

The_jinx: The gcc is indeed rather old too ( ), I'm not sure if I did build BX with such an old version on cygwin once but I had trouble building cvs's of it with newer versions of gcc (newer then 3.0.x).

The second question would be for you is: since the sysadmin said im all alone there is space so no support is there a workaround or I have just to forget it?

Thanks to you too!

It looks to me like you are trying to compile a program using sockets in SuNOS. Don't forget to include the libraries necessary:

gcc -lnsl -lsocket -lresolv <blah options> program

This should fix most of the problems you could experience compiling programs that use sockets in SunOS; however, not necessarily all of them. Especially if the program was written for another TCP/IP stack like for Linux or FreeBSD. In that case you are going to have to do some code modification to change up the includes/paths (precompiler options). If that is the case, try looking at code for a network program that compiles in both Solaris and whatever platform your code is written in. Usually by putting the precompiler options/flags/includes for the dual platform one in your code is sufficient (if you are too lazy like I am to actually go out and look )

There is only one constant, one universal, it is the only real truth: causality. Action. Reaction. Cause and effect...There is no escape from it, we are forever slaves to it. Our only hope, our only peace is to understand it, to understand the 'why'. 'Why' is what separates us from them, you from me. 'Why' is the only real social power, without it you are powerless.

(Merovingian - Matrix Reloaded)