Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Yahoo vs. Trillian

Yahoo vs. Trillian

Yahoo has begun blocking Cerulean Studios' Trillian software from communicating with its own instant messaging software as part of its plan to limit third parties from piggybacking on its service.

On Thursday, some Trillian users began reporting an inability to communicate with their Yahoo Messenger contacts. A Yahoo spokeswoman on Friday morning confirmed that Trillian users' inability to access Yahoo Messenger was the result of recent policies put in place by the Web giant.

Yahoo last week announced that it would require people who use older versions of Yahoo Messenger to upgrade to more recent versions. Coinciding with the upgrade, Yahoo said it would likely disable access to outside IM services such as Trillian. Yahoo set a deadline of Wednesday for its forced upgrade and its intention to disconnect Trillian.

"If this has affected the way in which third parties interact with our service, it is merely a byproduct of our efforts to implement preventative measures to protect our users from potential spammers," Yahoo spokeswoman Mary Osako said.

A notice posted on Trillian's Web site informed users about "an issue that may cause a crash or invalid password when trying to autoconnect to Yahoo," the site read. Trillian users who reported the problem said they were unable to view their buddy lists when connecting to Yahoo.

"We are aware of the current connectivity issues with Trillian and the Yahoo network, brought on as a result of Yahoo's recent protocol upgrade," Scott Werndorfer, co-founder of Cerulean, said in an e-mail statement. "We are working hard on a solution and will update our Web site when more information becomes available."

Trillian software, produced by privately held, Connecticut-based Cerulean, allows people to combine various IM clients into one interface. Users can view buddy lists from various services, such as AOL Instant Messenger, MSN Messenger and Yahoo Messenger, and exchange IM text messages with them.

The popularity of Trillian has risen, largely because popular IM services do not communicate with each other. As a result, people use different IM services simultaneously on their PCs to communicate with contacts who reside in different communities. These closed networks have helped incumbent leader AOL maintain its large market share while allowing rivals MSN and Yahoo to flourish alongside it.

What separates the Big Three IM services are features. AOL, MSN and Yahoo services each have distinct flavors and rely on these distinctions to maintain user loyalty. Trillian strips all clients of their differences and allows people to exchange IMs through its own look and feel.

A day after last week's Yahoo announcement, Trillian released software patches that were aimed at allowing it to continue accessing Yahoo and MSN buddy lists. But as of this week, those patches do not appear to be working.

Source(http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1104_2-5082812.html)
    AntiOnline Quick Forum Version 2b Click Here

good for yahoo, that's just a few thousand (possibly million) users they just lost. although this seems to be popular with the large companies. to get rid of the large mass of non-profitable users.
    yeah, I\'m gonna need that by friday...

THat has been going back and forth between Trillian and all the others for years now. I went a long time last year without access to AOL or was it MSN??? I forget now.

It sucks. What happened to that open IM project/standard?
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

I know ICQ doesn't work on Trillian

ICQ worked fine on trillian 2.0 for me yesterday.
    It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious. - Murphy

It must just be the older versions. I would get an error everythime i tried to logon w/ ICQ

Thats pretty stupid of them to do. What exactly does Yahoo, or MSN get from blocking Trillion connections. The only reason I ever used Yahoo or MSN was BECAUSE of Trillion. Also, somone else posted an article that MSN may start to charge for their "freemail" and chat services. The internet is being changed a lot in very negative ways by coperate greed. It will continue, but I do hope someone stops it. I dought M$ or Yahoo would listen to petitions. :-/

Hmm well it would be a great thing if Yahoo! decided to fix some bugs in their client aswell.. I have two issues with mine:

-under WinXP it takes over the CPU and inhibits all other processes
    -under RedHat I cannot read the characters.. they all have these boxes around them...

As for the issue concerned... I guess it's Yahoo!'s right to do so anyway, but as said they lost a lot of users...

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Well, it's not just Trillian. I've found recently that Centericq can no longer connect to Yahoo (as of version 4.9.4 -- I haven't upgraded yet). I get the error that my "client" is too "old" (go figure).
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

PHP/PostgreSQL guy
    It's no different than when AOL tried (keyword) to block Trillian users from connecting through their servers. It didn't work. The coding team of 2 at Trillian stomped a mudhole through all of AOL's attempted *fixes* and what happened was AOL eventually gave up and just accepted it. The same thing will happen with Yahoo. If not, there goes my yahoo account. I refuse to be force-fed a particular software program simply because of their refusal to work with other programs.
    We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much with so little for so long that we are now qualified to do just about anything with almost nothing.