windows XP problem
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: windows XP problem

Exclamation windows XP problem

I installed windows XP yesterday, and i noticed now when i start up my computer Norton Antivirus doesnt load. All my files are still here, and the icon is too. But when i click on it, Norton wont run. Does anyone have any idea why it is doing this? Could it be a virus?
    \"Look, Doc, I spent last Tuesday watching fibers on my carpet. And the whole time I was watching my carpet, I was worrying that I, I might vomit. And the whole time, I was thinking, \"I\'m a grown man. I should know what goes on my head.\" And the more I thought about it... the more I realized that I should just blow my brains out and end it all. But then I thought, well, if I thought more about blowing my brains out... I start worrying about what that was going to do to my goddamn carpet. Okay, so, ah-he, that was a GOOD day, Doc. And, and I just want you to give me some pills and let me get on with my life. \" -Roy Waller

Just re-read your post, the program may be corrupt, have you tried reinstalling it?
    It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious. - Murphy
    CooLL.Net

ARTICLE(http://reviews.zdnet.co.uk/software/...0000657,00.htm)
    The Norton nightmare

Norton SystemWorks users reported the most glaring example of what can happen when software vendors must rebuild products for a new operating system. SystemWorks 2001 just isn't compatible, although Symantec said that a Windows 2000 patch could make it work, and the first release of SystemWorks 2002 conflicted badly, causing fits and starts and even full-blown crashes.

Symantec’s Norton SystemWorks 2002 initially caused problems under XP, but now works well.

But don't give up on SystemWorks 2002 just yet. Symantec's technical support can help clean up the mess and will ship you a free, new version of the product that works very well, although differently, under XP. It's different because XP keeps a tight rein on itself and locks its system files when running Norton Disk Doctor. This often requires you to restart your PC so that Disk Doctor can run before the entire OS loads up. Norton SpeedDisk and other disk-defragmenting products, such as Executive Software's Diskeeper, also cannot defragment all of the files on the hard drive because of XP's system file locking.

You can address potential compatibility woes early by running Microsoft's Windows XP Upgrade Advisor, which is included on the Windows XP installation CD and available for download on Microsoft's site. The Upgrade Advisor sports an online database of applications and hardware information, checks the components of your system, and produces a no-go report if an application or piece of hardware is not currently supported by XP. The software even displays any known remedies, although these ‘fixes’ usually just point you to the Web site of the offending product's manufacturer.

Don't rely on Microsoft alone. Check your hardware and software makers' Web sites for specific information -- which will probably be more current than that of Upgrade Advisor.
    AntiOnline Quick Forum Version 2b Click Here

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Hmmmm.... Why do I find WinXP's file locking to be a plus???????

Question here is not "what did M$ do to screw up the system" but rather "Isn't it good that M$ is fulfilling it's promise of a more secure OS"? What will probably happen though is that this will be seen as a bad thing because people like to bash M$, (often fairly, but for some it's a sport).......
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Another Atricle (http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/nav2001.htm)
    Installing Norton AntiVirus 2001 with Windows XP

1) Download and save the Norton SymEvent patch from here.

2) Start the installation of NAV2001.

3) During Setup, uncheck the option to load AutoProtect at Startup

4) Disable the Run Live Update and Virus Scan options when setup completes.

5) When Setup is done, do not run any scans or Live Updates.

6) Locate the SymEvent patch you downloaded earlier and double click it to install.

7) When complete, reboot the computer. You can now load NAV 2001 and adjust its options to your liking.

This page last updated 05/03/2003 19:41
    All material © Doug Knox
    AntiOnline Quick Forum Version 2b Click Here

McAfee?......Trend Micro?

Sorry folks, I just do not like Norton......cause of too many problems for me

just my £0.02

SirSub, i tried to uninstall it, but it says "Error 1606 Could not access network location ::\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop" Then it says "Fatal Error has occured" I tried to just install it again, d it had the same thing. Could something be wrong with my windows installer?
    \"Look, Doc, I spent last Tuesday watching fibers on my carpet. And the whole time I was watching my carpet, I was worrying that I, I might vomit. And the whole time, I was thinking, \"I\'m a grown man. I should know what goes on my head.\" And the more I thought about it... the more I realized that I should just blow my brains out and end it all. But then I thought, well, if I thought more about blowing my brains out... I start worrying about what that was going to do to my goddamn carpet. Okay, so, ah-he, that was a GOOD day, Doc. And, and I just want you to give me some pills and let me get on with my life. \" -Roy Waller

First of all, spools.exe had a much better fix to be problem than me, but since you decided to go my route. Theres no need to uninstall it. Just reinstall it. Or there may be an option when you try to uninstall it, its called "Repair". I dont think your windows installer is messed up.
    It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious. - Murphy
    CooLL.Net

I tried just install it again, from the CD, but it just has the same error 1606...thats what lead me to thnk something might be wrong with my windows installer. as for spools fix, i dont have Systemworks, i just have the antivirus and it's 2003 not 2001, so i wasnt sure if it would work

i just have the antivirus and it's 2003 not 2001, so i wasnt sure if it would work
    I must admit I was suprised that fixes for NAV 2001 and Sstemworks pushed.. without first asking what was being used..

Check this link regarding Error 1606 and NAV. Seems it it is common where the WinXP install is an upgrade installation.

Questions ..
    Is your Installation of XP A clean install, or have you Upgraded an earlier version of windows?
    Did NAV work after it was first installed?

See how we go this time..

Cheers
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr