Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ethics of Plagarism

Thanks for the link Ms.Mittens.

I think I have to kinda lead toward Star****er here. I just paid $3700 for one quarter of school, and the only class that I'm taking that is computer related is Management Information Systems. THe rest are history, math, english, biology. The only course I see that has something to do with me degree is Math, nothing else does. I guess thats what you get though when you attend a liberal arts college.
    =

I just paid $3700 for one quarter of school, and the only class that I'm taking that is computer related is Management Information Systems.
    Hey cheyenne, if your poor, like me, you get benefits from the state to aid in funding your schooling. :-p

Thats the problem. I couldn't get aid from anyone, including the state and government. The only aid I got was $750 fromt the college.

Oh well life goes on.
    =

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    But does that justify the problem? Just because you are doing something you don't like? I don't buy it. The courses I teach are not required. Students take them because they heard about the war games or how fun the course is or how I teach or whatever. I always leave options open for students (at least 3 topics plus the option to write about what they want to) and yet... I still get plagarism.

So I don't buy that "I don't want to take this course and it does nothing to forward where I want to be" is a justification or reasoning for plagarism.

Heck, not even in the school environment. Look at here. No one forces people to write tutorials and yet, we see lots of cut'n'paste exercises, even with "indignation" and claims that it's their original work, even with proof otherwise. So claiming that the reasoning for the plagarism is because it's due to being forced to do something we don't want to, I don't buy it.

Lastly, as someone in the process of developing a degree, the reason those courses are there that you don't like or don't want to take is to show you what else might be available (other paths). Granted, with this program that I'm creating everything is applied/problem solving type courses and all directed to the final goal with students choosing their "optional outside-of-degree" electives (for the exact reason you mention -- I want students to go through the program and want to be there; I don't want them to drop out beforehand).

When I went to university and took my political science degree, I had to take Medical Ethics. Now what does that have to do with Poli Sci? Nothing. It was interesting anyways because I opened my mind to a different point of view. You will go through life doing things sometimes that you don't want to do. Learn to adapt. It will benefit you in the long run. Trust me on this.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Banned
    ok ppl plagerise becose it is so much easier then wrighting it your self.
    Plus there is all this preshoure on you to do really well, you know that you cant do it, so you copy others works.

Nightfalls_Girl...

p.s i find a little irony in this.

It is called appropreation in art if you take anuthers work and slightly eddit it create one of your won. yet to take a peace of litrature and slightly eddit it and call it your own it is classed plagerisom... HMmmm

Nightfalls_Girl

Banned
    Plageriasm as well as being a difficult word to spell is nothing more than a sincere lack of creativity and intelligence. God, a little hard work and anyone with a ounce of ambition can create a good tutorial say. I would also be flattered if somebody stole my tutorial but hey after a while wouldnt it piss you off that somebody else claims credit for say the Newbie FAQ which is a lot of work in there!

Banned
    may be but yet most things piss me off...

Nightfalls_Girl

THe rest are history, math, english, biology. The only course I see that has something to do with me degree is Math
    While I quote cheyenne1212 .. I am commenting in a broard manner.. While Math may be a subject that has a direct connection to your intended goal studied. the other subjects are needed by YOU. they were not throwen in to fill in the day and there for help keep a teacher occupied. English is like art it is for the linguistic creativity. History is to help kee[ things in perspective.. Bioligy..now that one is a bit hard to explain.. but you may understand how that mold growth on your desk near the month old pizza and dried fries, came into being.. ..

Chemistry was boring.. I used the knowledge and the learning skills from that subject many times in my work as a tech, as well I have wished I had tried harder in english, my ability to move forward is hampared by my grammatic skills as well as writing creativly.. you need it.. History,, that is where we I learnt the truth about what the cinima taught me.. and to question what the media/polititions say.

as for plagarism. there is only one excuse for plagerism.. oh and no reason.. Laziness.. the inability of one to use their own imagination to creativly quote another persons work.

Something is only boring when you donot know how usefuland valuable that time realy is to you and your future ..

Cheers
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

There is no excuse for plaigarism, and it is a problem for two reasons:

1) In this day and age it is easier than ever; and
    2) even though you can do a quick check in a search engine to see if something is blatantly ripped off, it is not happening regularly enough to deter people from copying stuff.

At my uni if you get busted for plaigarism, you get kicked out, no exceptions. This sort of attitude along with more stringent checking by those people who mark papers would result in people taking plaigarism and copying more seriously.

Banned
    ur a brissy dood

Nightfalls_Girl