Does a Firewall slowdown downloading/uploading speed?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does a Firewall slowdown downloading/uploading speed?

Lightbulb Does a Firewall slowdown downloading/uploading speed?

Is it true that using a software Firewall will slowdown the download/upload speed?

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    It depends on what is being analyzed by the FW, but in general, yes. The degree is based on a number of things like hardware, rules, etc.
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

Hi,

The horse13 is correct (as usual )

It depends on the software..............for example McAfee7 and Zone Alarm do not get on together. realistically, the difference should be milliseconds, but if you have a software incompatibility and the attendant memory leaks, it could be big time.

Sorry mate, need more info. on the hardware and software

Good week-end

Johnno

if your worried about downloads taking longer....dont. On your home computer and most corporate networks you will not see any difference. What will really slow your download speed is a worm on your computer scanning for more victims or eating the files that have taken you so long to download. Anyone that tells you they wont use a firewall because it slows down file transfer is a fool.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Anyone that tells you they wont use a firewall because it slows down file transfer is a fool.
    Yes Tedob1, certainly this is true. A person will not notice the difference. I was referring to the extreme technical nature of the question, which the answer, technically, is yes.
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

im not sure this is always the case though i install tiny personal on my comp and it seemed to make my down/upload speed quicker.....
    chown -r us ./bases

Hmmmm, that would suggest to me that other things are running that were eating up your bandwidth before you installed the personal firewall. Do the logs show anything? Perhaps you have some spyware on your box.

thehorse13 please dont think my reply was aimed at you...or anyone else for that matter. im not desputing the facts. i was quessing at his reason and could be totally off the wall but that needed to be said in case im right.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Yes, but I would say, unless your using a very intensive firewall-IDS hybrid, it's not going to be very noticable.

- Noia
    With all the subtlety of an artillery barrage / Follow blindly, for the true path is sketchy at best. .:Bring OS X to x86!:.
    Og ingen kan minnast dei linne drag i dronningas andlet den fagre dag Då landet her kvilte i heilag fred og alle hadde kjærleik å elske med.

Similar to other posters, but

Quick answer : No

Slow answer
    A normal rule-filtering firewall (the kind that post people use) will delay packets being received / transmitted by a very small amount. Not much though. This won't affect the throughput (i.e. download speed), but it will increase the latency very marginally. In practice this effect won't be able to be measured, because the latency increase will be much less than the general latency in the internet in general.

Content-scanning firewalls will significantly slow down downloads, because they have to check everything against some lists and/or rules of things not to download. Different ones work in different ways, hence will probably have different performance characteristics.

If you're worried, try a few different vendors' ones out and measure the speed before implementing such a solution on your network

Slarty