Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: need a version of *nix for a security laptop

need a version of *nix for a security laptop

I'm currently dual-booting Windows XP and RH 8 on a Dell Inspiron 8200 512MB RAM 40GB HDD, mini-PCI wireless and NIC.

i'm plenty used to the *nix environment, but I'm looking for suggestions about what version of *nix to put on the laptop for security purposes. I would be using it strictly for audits, forensics and the such. I've never had a problem with RedHat or Slackware, I did try FreeBSD but I had some issues during the install, which i just didn't take enough time to figure out *kicks ADHD*

Just wondering what your opinions/suggestions/comments/reasons are.

Anyways, I'm thinking either RedHat 9, Slackware 9.1 or FreeBSD. I'm open to suggestions on others that I didn't list.

thanks in advance.

i would recommend HD 9. From what i've heard and seen it is quite the operating system.
    AntiOnline Quick Forum Version 2b Click Here

HD 9

did you mean RH 9?

lol, that too, lol it has just been one of those days. Lol, sorry, thanks tekno.

I meant RH 9
    AntiOnline Quick Forum Version 2b Click Here

hehe...no problem,

i've had plenty of those days myself.
    t.e.k.n.o.

If your're looking for a security OS you should check out OpenBSD. It installs with many
    features disabled intentually to prevent security risks. It has the best track record for
    the BSD's. OpenBSD requires more technical knowledge and skill to use effectively than
    FreeBSD, so it would not the best choice for beginners. BUT, because of its reputation
    for security, experienced UNIX administrators frequently use it to build firewall routers
    and secure servers. Now as for doing audits and forensics, I do know that Coroners
    Tool Kit (a collection of tools designed to assist in a forensic examination of a computer)
    supports OpenBSD and nmap still works along with nessus, and maybe you will have
    better luck with getting OpenBSD installed. Hope this helps with your decision.

-dephial

You should check out http://www.guardiandigital.com/produ...are/community/ since they got an award or two for being a secure Linux version. It's not entirely free from what I saw, but it may well be worth it.

linuxalien

Did I hear you say wireless... you should check out http://www.antionline.com/showthread...ght=wardriving
    http://www.danasoft.com/sig/c0bra.jpg
    click here to hack my computer and delete all my important files

you could always try the bastille scripts - they are a bunch of shell scripts that ask you questions and tighten security based on your answers. you could try suse and use the hardensuse script to make it more secure. then of course there are grsecurity patches which prevent buffer overflows and such but they limit the applications you can run. you cant run X with them. are you using this computer to be secure or for security analysis?

I want this laptop to be secure as well as to use for security analysis.

Right now...I have Slackware 9.1 installed on it. Next I think I'm going to try debian, then Suse.

wassup.....do you know where I can get a hold of those bastille scripts?

c0bra...one step ahead of you

thanks for the replies everyone!
    t.e.k.n.o.