Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about ICS

Question about ICS

Ok i connect to the internet through a gateway running ICS which is assigning private addresses to each computer on the network using DHCP , well i was just wondering why doesnt this assign each computer a internet address as well? because when i ping the internet address which seems to be mine is actually just the ip address that the gw is using so am i right in thinking that basicly all ICS allows is things like web browsing downloading etc etc.......... because my computer is just sending packets to the gw and then the gw slaps its on address on the packet sends it out to the net the packet returns to the gw and then it's just returning back to my computer, so basically the computer running ics doesnt assign internet addresses to each computer? i wanna know if its possible for the ics host to assign new internet ip's to each computer?
    [glowpurple]www.openbsd.org - Unix for the practical paranoid[/glowpurple]

No it is not possible. THis is why we have routers, and computers capable of sharing the interent connection. THe only way you could get a public IP to all computers on your lan would be to order internet connections for all of those computers. Besides, its safer when only one computer/router is exposed.
    =

you could get a block of ip addys. even with a dsl service like covad which will allow you a block of five at no additional charge, biz class anyway. verizon or cable will not do this as far as i know. your router gets the first and you still have four you can assign internally. with a T you get 15 or more if you want to pay for them.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Well I guess I was misinformed about this.

None of my providers down here offere anything like that.
    =

I've not heard of it either...

[i] well i was just wondering why doesnt this assign each computer a internet address as well? [/B]
    Because you do not own the public addresses..Ip addresses are a commodity and are being depleted. If everyone wanted to do what you stated, we would run out of IP addresses very quickly..

Besides, you dont really need additional Ip addresses unless you are hosting something on your LAN that requires users to access from the Internet.

As far as an ISP giving out 5 or more free IP addresses, this is soley up to the provider..It is a marketing practice to retain and increase customer base...

From my personal experience, verizon/DSL and Cable out here on the east coast/US only gives out 1 IP/dynamic for residential users...any additional must be reprovisioned as business class and cost additional $$$$

My own provider sells blocks of 8, in which 5 are usable because of routing etc.

You can even order them on the internet and never have to talk to anyone. Crazy.

If each computer had it's own IP like you want, then ICS is pointless. You won't need it.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

IPs are going to be changed from 255 to 32k and summat.... apparently existing ips will just have 0's added...

eg. 123.456.123.45

would become: 00123.00456.00123.00045 or similar...

which is odd because it copes without 0's at the moment o.o

Rusho, you are talking about IPv6..

the existing IPv4 adresses won't be padded with 0's.. they will co-exist nicely..

I have a whole range of IPv6 addy's wich I also use (via tunneling)

the ethernet device will just have a "normal" IPv4 ( xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx ) address and an IP46 address.. (and ofcourse a MAC address, wich has nothing to do with apple)
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

Apple? You mean like a Granny Smith, my favorite?
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.