Thread: more than one anti virus prog

Arrow more than one anti virus prog

are all AV pretty much the same these days?
    i saw somewhere a while a go that some picked up viruses that others cannot.
    but i was also told that installing multiple ani virus software would be the worse thing i could do and it would ruin my system

would there be any point / need in installing more than one prog?
    and is it worth installling a trojan hunter alson with a prog such as nortons etc?

ty in advance

Definitly don't install multiple antivirii, even if it works it's just a waste of system resources.
    Just installing an antivirus program and keeping it up-to-date + a firewall is more than enough.
    The above sentences are produced by the propaganda and indoctrination of people manipulating my mind since 1987, hence, I cannot be held responsible for this post\'s content - me

www.elhalf.com

IMHO there is no harm in having multiple AV products. The real "rule" is to only have ONE running (interactively) at any one time. Otherwise you can get memory leaks and system instability.

I have noted that mail handling agencies usually run about 4 different AV scans before they forward it to you.

Trojan and spyware detectors are different to AV products and can generally be run alongside them. I run three of these as well as an AV and a firewall.

All products will detect things that others don't if only because they are updated at different times. Nothing is perfect.

Hope this helps

I would recommend Pc Cillin. Its done good for me so far.....
    AntiOnline Quick Forum Version 2b Click Here

Hi,

I like PC-cillin, I seems to do the job, and is the only one that I let auto-update as it does this very quickly and unobtrusively, and has never interfered with whatever else I was doing.

It is the one I recommend for non-computer literate friends, as it is very user-friendly.

My only "complaint" is that once it has caught something, it is a pain to extract it for examination.................it doesn't think I ought to be doing that sort of thing

Nice product!

Cheers

but looks like pc-cillin 2003 doesn't work for guest account on windows xp.
    im like a fool install/uninstall the progs then when i read in the readme it stated clearly that it doesn't work for guest account
    I can predict anything, except future!

Dead Man Walking
    I am curently running NAV and AVG at the same time with NAV as the primary (scanning inbound stuff) and run a complete system scan once a week with both one after the other. IU ahvent had any problems with it. As far as system resources i havent had anyproblems with that either. Like pc cillin AVG can be kind of a pian in the butt at times but its still a good proggie and its free and updates ALOT more often than nortons

am i right in thinking PCCillin asks you to remove all other avti virus software when unstalling it?

yes i belive it does. It isn't nesscessary. It just wants to make sure you dont have 2 set for start at the same thime. @ AV running at once = BAD.
    AntiOnline Quick Forum Version 2b Click Here

A number of antiviruses will ask you to delete their competitor's products

You can generally ignore this, just don't have one running when you are loading the other.

If one detects a virus, make sure that it is cleaned deleted, rather than quarantined, or your other AV will probably find it in the quarantine file

The important thing is to have only one running in interactive/real time mode .

Please remember if you have more than one, you will have to manually update the secondary ones regularly, or there is no point in having them.

I do not run PC-Cillin on XP, I use McAfee on that machine. I would have thought that you should have deleted the default guest account, on the grounds that it is a security risk in itself?

Whichever AV you choose, you should CAREFULLY look at the settings. Some will default to only scan "program files", this is pretty useless IMHO, you should scan everything.

Also make sure that any "heuristic" or behavioural scanning is enabled...this is your only chance of catching a new virus or variant. Basically, if it WILL do it....let it

Cheers