Thread: how can i set security policy for particular user

how can i set security policy for particular user

i went to system adminstration thingy but all i can do is add or remove users...

my girlfriend keeps installing spyware and i have to rinstall os every 2 months ... i wanna create somthing like limited sandbox account... where can i set the limits on users ...
    i\'m the guy who bitched out a girl about writting poems in General Chat... Now everyone thinks I hate women and that I\'m gay ... live and learn ... hehe

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    May I suggest you actually post the OS you are using. You know, that "thingy" that loads when you turn on the computer.

Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

Banned
    May I suggest you actually post the OS you are using. You know, that "thingy" that loads when you turn on the computer
    I think hes using xp.

Go to the user accounts throught control panel and create a limited account for your girlfriend.

A limited account can only change their picture and their password.

Or you tell her to stay the hell of yer computer.

Hello,

For Win XP and 2000 very similar as follows:

1. Right click on My Computer
    2. Manage (this brings up the mmc snap-in "computer management"
    3. Double-click on local users and groups
    4. Double-click on users folder
    5. Right pane-click on the user account in question (your girlfriends account)
    6. From the drop down menu-click on properties
    7. Member of tab
    8. Change from Administrator to User (remove administrator permission and add user permission)
    9. Apply
    10 Change your password while your in there for your account
    11 Make sure Guest account is disabled for security

Purchase some Victoria Secret perfume and candles. Enjoy her company and smile.

Cheers,

DarkCarniv0l

so basicaly i can only put her into different group and she'll have premition of that group... the problem is that that doesn't allow for that much flexibility... ... but thanx anyways still helps
    i\'m the guy who bitched out a girl about writting poems in General Chat... Now everyone thinks I hate women and that I\'m gay ... live and learn ... hehe

Hi Etruscan,

I do not quite understand your problem. You say that your girlfriend keeps installing spyware on your computer. Is she doing it deliberately, or just picking this stuff up from browsing the web?

If it is deliberate, then I think your problem goes beyond the ability of AO members to help......If there is no trust, I cannot see how there can be a meaningful relationship?

If it is just the intrusive rubbish that we all get hit with, then there are a number of security measures you can take to either prevent the programs loading, or eliminate them if they do. The problem with these scumware, like viruses, is they generally do not need you to be logged on with administrator rights to install themselves. This means that changing her account authorities will probably not help?

As for user/work groups. I do not know what the limit is, but in a home or small office environment you can create one for each individual user if you need to, so you should not be limited.

One VITAL POINT I would make is that if someone has a reasonable amount of unsupervised physical access to your computer, you are owned! All the security policy/user group combinations in the World will not help you. You have to keep them out!

I am sorry that I cannot be more helpful without further details. For example what "spyware" have you detected recently?

I wish you luck

Cheers

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    Well then, if the assumption is correct, in steps the beauty of the NTFS filesystem. You have already discovered that creating a group and adding a user is worthless. Welcome to the wonderful world of the default "everyone" permission.

To solve your problem you can do two things:

1) Get the everyone to user utility from MS and convert all the permissions over to the user group. Then, create a dumdum group, add your GF, then assign the dumdum group permissions to only the apps/services/directories that you want.

2) Using the Security Configuration and Analysis snap in, create a nice custom set of ACLs for the user. To get to this tool, click start>run then type MMC. Select File > add snap-in > add and then scroll down to the Security Configuration and Analysis snap-in. Once you get this, follow the instructions for creating a database. You'll need to run the "analyze", then "Configure" once your changes are made.

**WARNING** Mucking around with this tool can cause you great pain. If you aren't sure of something, better leave it untouched.

Now then, you could always by her a computer!

Anyway, there's your answer in a nutshell.

--TH13
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

i know you are gonna be upset horse 'cause i know, you don't like old posts but i just saw your reply ... i've never seen this thing before... MMC.... i will do plenty of RS but i'm sure i will have questions