Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: i seriously don't get it this

i seriously don't get why... it's stupid

i've noticed diferent ppl over time postin a string of chars saying.. i made an encryption proggie... can you crack this...

how in the hell can you crack a "string" if you have no idea about the method of encryption... let me show you and example of .... look at this example

this would be my method...

ei... there are basically 2 types of letters in the alphabet:
    ....curved and not curved.... i guess it would really depend on the type of font you are using but for now let assume that all the fonts are the same...for this example we will only consider caps

so curved would be: BCDGJOPQRSU
    not-curved would be: AEFHIKLMNTVWXZ

do you see the difference... so my key for encryption would be like this "@" for curved and "#" for not-curved ... plus we would be counting from backwards...

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Z

MIRROR = #7#10@3@3@6@3
    SPEAKER = @2@5#13#14#9#13@3

now imagine that i will have 4 criteria like

curved w/ closed circle............................. BDOPQR
    curved not closed.................................... CGJSU
    not curved w/ 90 degree angles............. EFHILT
    cuved w/ 45 degree angles.................... AKMNVWXZ

all this is basicaly off_the_wall ... crazy thing that i just made up but the challange is how in the world can you "decrypt" it... what would be your resoning... my point is that posting random string here to decrypt them is waste of time
    i\'m the guy who bitched out a girl about writting poems in General Chat... Now everyone thinks I hate women and that I\'m gay ... live and learn ... hehe

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    Excellent point... and another point to add on to that. People always say... Check out my NEW encryption and see if you can crack it. Well, 99% of the time, it is nothing new. Before you develop something new, make sure it is something new. If you really want to become an authority, take the time to do some investigation and find out what has already been done and if it was broken before, and how it was broken.
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman

LOL, when you send something that is encrypted to another person... Lets say through E-Mail and its intercepted. It can be decrypted. Thats the point of creating different/better ways of decrypting. If they wern't possible to decrypt then there would only be a need for 1 type of encryption. But as you can see there are many ways to encrypt as well as many ways to decrypt them.

So in response to your question. You don't usually see and E-Mail with an ecrypted text that includes a way of decrypting it. That part is left for the "cracker/hacker".

Unless the program is bases on an Enigma type base then it usually is very easy to crack with the right knowledge.

All that really needs done is to take the text, convert it to ASCII and find the pattern in the numbers.

So even if you know the method or not it still is very possible.
    AntiOnline Quick Forum Version 2b Click Here

you have to realize that my example is very simple and took me 0.5 sec to come up with in my opinion the only pattern you can find is if the encryption is based on mathematical algorithm... my example is NOT... it's based on clever gimmick ... something a person understands but computer might not (yes i know about handwritting recog.) but if you take 50 "clever tricks" like this and layer them on top of each other .. basically make them as confusing as possible and then write a program which run each "clever" function on the output of previous function... what you are going to end up w/ is garbage text w/out any pattern that noone but you has any idea how to crack. just like some of the stuff posted here...
    i\'m the guy who bitched out a girl about writting poems in General Chat... Now everyone thinks I hate women and that I\'m gay ... live and learn ... hehe

you could find a pattern such as the @ and the # i belive. I may be totally wrong though. I have very little knowledge in the filed of decryption. Sorry if i'm wrong.
    AntiOnline Quick Forum Version 2b Click Here

if given enough examples and and alot of time you could find a pattern in any encrytion and break it the trick to good encryption is to make the number of examples needed to find the pattern almost immpossable or at least improbable to get.
    chown -r us ./bases

Hmmm... cryptanalysis on modern encryption schemes isn't always about pattern recognition. Take for example DES, or RSA (or anything based on those methods). Using any method that employs transposition (as opposed to substitution which is what you're discussing above), it diffuses the normal patterns and distribution of letters to the point that pattern recognition doesn't get you much.

A perfect example would be columnar transposition. Check this link for a good description and how-to. I believe it was first used by the Spartans.. to the casual observer, it's still hard to wrap your brain around.

l00p

I think that etruscan has a point.

In the real world you would know who the message was from and who it was to (not necessarily the individuals, but the organisations)

You would also know what the subject matter was likely to be and the language being used.

You would also know the encryption method likely to have been used, so all you would really be looking for was the key.

As a totally ridiculous example: suppose I gave you some strings or blocks (yes, I am that old ) that were total gibberish, and asked you for the message therein, you could take 10 times the age of the Universe, and still not have an answer, simply because there wasn't one?

At the end of the day, you have to assume that meaningful encrypted communications can be decrypted. All you do is buy time and make it very expensive. The secret is to have the encryption strong enough to make the information outdated enough to be useless by the time it can be decrypted.

This is why Governments have spies............they want intelligence in real time.

Cheers

i do, agree w/ the fact that given enough time all the possible combinations of the clear text could be compared to encrypted text but... on what basis... what if i'm creating a key which is based on a presence & order of certain letters in a 1.7 minutes of dialog from a Godfather ...and then running that through filter based on percentage of white, red & black colors on a 16 oz can of Bud... it's silly to think that somehow through enough computing power you can find a key made by human being... we cannot pull primes out of our ass but we are too inconsistent for logic and mathematics