Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: free data recovery software for NTFS

free data recovery software for NTFS

hi,
    been having trouble with bsod's in xp pro and am now looking around for some free ntfs recovery software, i lost some files when it bsod'ed again today and need them back, they just disappeared altogether, does anyone know of some free software that can recover from ntfs, i need something free, not a demo which will only recover 64k files...

im desperate, someone please help me

Are you running a HP?

HP usually comes with some sort of recovery feature.
    If you want it back to the way it was made (before you installed anything on it)
    then back up whatevers left and go to the destructive recovery mode. Press F10 when the hewlett packard screen comes up when your starting up your computer.

If it doesnt work, theres always a computer repair shop in the phone book

Let this teach you a lesson... back up...

I learnt it the hard way.... 4 years worth of gaming sources codes went *blip* o.o

like my parents would pay for the recovery of games

Rushie

Hi,

There is something called "drive rescue" I think it was at v1.9d. You may be able to find a copy somewhere on the net (I have tried to attach a zipped version, don't know if it'll work). It may do the trick, but I think that the NTFS bit was rather buggy.

The new version is at http://63.141.194.5/rescue.index.html. You have to pay for this, I am not sure of what restrictions there are on the demo.

You could also try "Unstoppable Copier" by Roadkil. If you copy the files they may well re-appear? This one is free, I am not certain of the XP/NTFS support?

Your problem is that you are using a commercial file system and OS................not many people write freeware for those. I know of others that work on FAT partitions but not NTFS.

Good luck

KNOPPIX!!!! or KNOPPIX-STD!!!!

copy to removable media, slave hd, or over a network.

I usually use XP's system restore, it makes "backups" on a regular schedule. If the crap hits the fan, then just restore your computer to a previous safepoint. Access it under the control panel.
    3 Easy Steps To Fixing Windows (Permanently!)
    1) Insert Linux Installation CD (Any Distro)
    2) Read Included Documentation on \"Installing\"
    3) Install Linux

I usually use XP's system restore, it makes "backups" on a regular schedule. If the crap hits the fan, then just restore your computer to a previous safepoint. Access it under the control panel.
    Yes, this has saved me many of times.

You can press F8 at boot and boot to "last known good".

Then you can uninstall any drivers or etc that was causing the problem.

I just had this happen to me recently with a windows update.

It killed the login dll!!!! Coudln't boot to normal, safe, or even command prompt!

The logon user interface DLL msgina.dll failed to load.
    Contact your system admin. to replace the DLL, or restore the original DLL.
    Fix for that
    Thats kind of hard to do when all of the boot options fail! Except for the last known good... but it will undo all the updates you have applied.

The last known good saved me... cause I don't backup my work workstation...
    (/me runs off to grab a spare HD to backup to!!!)

I belive that there is a recovery command in dos. Recover <Path/Filename>. Also Roxio Goboack 3.1 is very good..
    AntiOnline Quick Forum Version 2b Click Here

now its doing this, even more annoying...

now the damn thing just freezes for no reason at all it seems, ive done chkdsk on everything, made sure there are no irq probs, some programs will jsut randomly freeze and others dont, so ive resorted to doing a recovery install and will just remember to backup next time, or wait for the linux distro that will run all my games...

im just reinstalling any programs that cause a system freeze, running the cd drives in PIO mode seems to help get rid of some of the problems too, whats really annoying about it though, nothing shows up in the system logs for the freezes, only if its a bsod, which i havnt seen for a while now

godspeed mr xp... godspeed i think

Lightbulb

i am unfamiliar with any 'good' free software packages relating to data recovery (this is a very profitable field). i am sure you can find a few 'experts' in the phone book that handle data recovery, but once again, this is not cheap (i repeat, data recovery is a very profitable field).

however, if you feel like coughing up a few bucks (if your data is worth it to you) there is good program called GetDataBack for NTFS. it is available at http://www.runtime.org/ and works quite well. i know for a fact because i have used it here at work (try and get your boss to pay for it if you can!) to recover data from many damaged an corrupted hard drives. one drive got corrupted from a power surge. it was then reformatted using ntfs. then the user decided he needed the data of of it. i was able to pull up almost all of the 40 gigs worth of lost data from this drive. i was definitely impressed with the power of this program.